Logo

88 OMC 30 Shift System adjustments

cro

"I have a 1988 OMC COBRA 3.0L.

"I have a 1988 OMC COBRA 3.0L.Started having a problem shifting to neutral.Checked the interrupt switch OK,check the overstroke OK.I have ESA module on order,should corect the problem.OMC dealer told me that he is gettig me upgraded ESA that only works with points,since I wanted to go with electronic ignition.
I owned the boat for five years and never had shifting cables adjusted.Removed the outdrive,checked the height on shift rod OK.Shifts forward and reverse OK.Now I am redy to adjust all the cables.Found good info from Stuart Hastings but pictures are wery dark and and info is little confusing(probably only to me).Any help maybe a picture would be appreciated."

"If your into it that deep you

"If your into it that deep you really should have an OMC factory manual. Most (if not all) of Stuarts pictures are scans from the 1988 OMC manual. You can order new through site at the top or check ebay.

I don't quite understand this line though??

"he is gettig me upgraded ESA that only works with points,since I wanted to go with electronic ignition

The upgraded ones should work with electronic, they will also have you bypass the over stroke switch as it's not required anymore, the module has a built in timer to cut the ESA off after about 5-6 secs."

I wanted to do away with point

I wanted to do away with points and go with electronic but OMC dealer told me that OMC dont make upgraded ESA that will work with electronic only points.

"and it does away with the ove

"and it does away with the over stroke switch. uses only the esa micro switch. one wire.

But it has a 3-5 second delay, allow me to explain why you might not want it.

What happens is it stumbles the engine and has a delay, when coming into the dock those few seconds may seem alot longer.

i have points and chose to stay with them."

"The timer can be a problem bu

"The timer can be a problem but you have to remember it was put in as a safety catch if for some reason the ESA stayed engaged on then the timer would kill it and Chiefalen is right coming into a dock with the ESA on for an extra 5 secs can seem like a long time however if it stays on that is a symptom of something else being wrong, flaky switch, cable adjustment or sticky cable, when everything is working fine the timer should never kick in."

"Question: are we even sure it

"Question: are we even sure it's the esa messing up?

What's the idle in the water, warm motor, in gear?"

"Thank you guys for the info_O

"Thank you guys for the info_OMC module had to be back ordered, so insted I went with mallory which He had on the shelve and my old points.So far so good, shifting perfect.
I need new or rebuild carburetor for my 88 OMC 3.0. where can I get one at decent price."

"That's a 2 bbl Rochester,

"That's a 2 bbl Rochester, the original OMC PN's are 984180 and 772831. You can get a new Sierra PN 18-7608 here but they are $487. You might be better off taking it to a good carb shop or looking around on ebay."

"Thanks Bob,for $80 I got my c

"Thanks Bob,for $80 I got my carb rebuild.I would like to replace remote control.I have original bayliner one with B in the middle of the handle.Neutral pin broke and is very hard to shift.Iwould like to replace it with new original,or something close so I dont have to do to much remodeling.I looked at BRP @370$.Anything out there with better price.Thanks."

"Not sure exactly what kind yo

"Not sure exactly what kind you have, is it a binnacle mount (mounts on top of the dash) or is it a flush side mount? A pic would help a lot but I would suggest a quick search on ebay and I'm sure you'll find exactly what you want at a good price. Here are a couple of examples

http://cgi.ebay.ca/OMC-Flush-Mount-control-Box-with-Trim-Tilt_W0QQitemZ360192695 278QQcmdZViewItemQQptZBoat_Parts_Accessories_Gear?hash=item53dd285bee&_trksid=p3 286.c0.m14

http://cgi.ebay.ca/OMC-Flush-Mount-Control-Box-Good-Shape_W0QQitemZ360192692259Q QcmdZViewItemQQptZBoat_Parts_Accessories_Gear?hash=item53dd285023&_trksid=p3286. c0.m14"

Back