Logo

Lowering the Engine in PlaceNeed a Plan

knuckle47

Advanced Contributor
"We are trying to have a plan

"We are trying to have a plan of attack ready so when the engien is placed back into the hull, It SORT OF LOOKS LIKE we know a little bit about what we are trying to do !

Picture this. When removed, the engine was lifted up and wiggled a bit to drive out (1) 6" x 1/2" bolt that was a little resistant but it came out without a hitch.

This engine is shimmed at the flywheel end with a 3/8" shim and at the water pump end with 2 1/2 inches of shim material.

When placing it back in, it will be hanging form the lift, motor mounts are still on it and before the weight comes to rest on it, I will need to insure that the shims are in place, the 6" bolts are in place and the 1/2" holes that receive all of this are lined up....

It does not appear to be a drop in task in my daydream.

WHAT is the best procedure for getting all of this in place? Should the motor mounts be removed?

293723.jpg
hangin

"Al,
If don't already hav

"Al,
If don't already have one, get a ratcheting chain lifting sling. That way you can tilt the back of the engine down until you get the transmission under the deck, then level it out so all the mounts touch at the same time.
Stick a couple bolts or a "line up bar" through the adjustable mounts before you lower it that last 1/2 inch.

Good luck."

When I put mine in I used a ch

When I put mine in I used a chain fall and found the control to be great. I had the truck lower it within 12 inch's and did the rest with the fall.

"Soon, we should review how to

"Soon, we should review how to do this with a floating boat at 20 deg list, and a swinging, powered davit with no brake. I'll be doing this in a couple of months."

"Al:

I hate to do this, aga

"Al:

I hate to do this, again, but figured better now than later....

are the engine mounts at the belt end the doubled ones and the gear end the single ones?

Are both engines' mounts the same?"

"Yes Mark, they are double at

"Yes Mark, they are double at the drive belts (stern) and single at the flywheel towards the bow. You can AMOST see it in the significantly reduced picture

WHY ???? ( I hate to ask)

Bob, My hatches are 3 x 4 and there are two so it is a 6 x 8 foot opening. There is enough room to maneuver. It came out easily. It's that once its in place that it is a PITA. Then there is no room on each outboard side and the undersides"

"My guess is they are on backw

"My guess is they are on backwards.

I've only worked on a couple V-drives and that was a while ago and I can't say I remember the mount setup.

I looked up the Merc stuff and they use the same mounts front and back. Looking at the crusader installation drawings, ALL the V-drive stuff shows the double eye mounts at the gear.

It makes sense as the gear end is the primary thrust bearing interface to the hull and the double eye lets the load get distributed over twice the mounting area.

Another guess, but my hunch is whoever did the upgrade (SBC-BBC) installed them "because the bigger one goes aft"....

Since it is out, it HAS to be easier to swap them now than when they are holding over half a ton. With the new angles, better to drill one set of holes than two....

This one may warrant a call to Crusader or Rick...go thing tomorrow is a work day (phone should get answered promptly)!"

"OH S%#T,

I am checking tom

"OH S%#T,

I am checking tomorrow and will correct it as needed. THAT is a PITA.

ON another note...Back to the original question: How do I drop it in so I am not wasting time trying to line up all of those holes with a 1/2 bolt

I realize once I get 2 in, the other 2 should drop in..BUT do I need to remove any of this stuff to make it easier?"

"Al,

Mine has the double on

"Al,

Mine has the double on the back (FW)and single on the front (V Belt).
I have the remote V drive so I don't know if that changes anything (V drive takes all the thrust)
url]

url]
"

Thanks for the pictures Bob...

Thanks for the pictures Bob...It looks like mine are on backwards. THIS just goes to show what I have seen over so many years of different owners. Everyone has the RIGHT IDEA !! You should have seen the piles of copper stranded wiring we removed

"Al,
Maybe, if you need to re

"Al,
Maybe, if you need to redo your mounts, you can get rid of all the shims. My rubber donut thingy kabobs set right on the angle iron.

url]
"

"Al:

I emailed you a few dr

"Al:

I emailed you a few drawings - faster than transfering and going thru the posting exercise.

Bob's right, the v-drive takes all the thrust but it goes to the hull thru the stringers, and in your case, the angles, by way of the mounts."

"As far as the plan, I think B

"As far as the plan, I think Bob hit on the high points.

When I did it, we used a couple alignment drifts (long and tapered), got the engine down with the first mount just touching, and dropped the drift in, centering it. Then did the opposite corner the same way. Set the engine and put the lags in.

A crowbar, some 2x4 blocks, and a 2 ton bottle jack were readily available...more use completing the alignment then getting the engine in."

"I wish he was here too !

"I wish he was here too !

Anyhow, as I think abou this...THIS SET UP is original from Silverton as I have removed the old angle iron and re-drilled all new stock. The front of the engine as we all know it (drive belt area) has two holes and the rear (transmission area) has only 1 hole. Those old angle iron pieces are so old and worn away I know they are the ones that came with the boat and while the 350 cu in blocks that were there may have been lower, the positions the mounts are in, are the way Silverton sent the boat out...It has to be....the original plywood shims are even painted with that barn red stuff they used ALL over the boat. Especially that the transmission area mount only have the single hole in the original angle iron mounts...Any thoughts? Im open to debate on that one idea ( BECAUSE: If I win the debate, it save a lot of extra work !)
"

"Mark,

Thanks for the detai

"Mark,

Thanks for the details. I have the Walters V-drive and printed out the drawing...Went to the parts book and the exploded view is Exactly what you have sent me...So Now how am I supposed to go about positioning the engine with the mounts reversed...IS there a way to advance plan it or do I drill on through, then try to mount the angle iron and hope it all fits OR can I use the dual mount in both the front and rear...I can drill the gear area easily as it is open there but the belt area is IMPOSSIBLE"

"Well, if you decide to swap t

"Well, if you decide to swap them to original config, I'd suggest going to the belt area first. It should have two holes and they should be symmetric about the trunnion. The single eye mount's hole is on center with the trunnion. So I'd split the difference between the two holes, keeping the same spacing off the stringer and bore it out.

If you can get to the back ones easily, I'd drill them AFTER you set the engine onto its mounts.

I guess you'll be calling silverton tomorrow as well. If between them and Crusader,they have a difference of opinion, who wins then? Also, I think you mentioned having a friend who has a similar hull; how are his mounts arranged?

One thing I've learned over the years, just because "it came that way" doesn't mean it is optimal. EVERY yard I've been in is operated by humans and we all know they can modify things - both positively and otherwise.

PS - I'd go the crusader way if they disagree."

"Holy Cow Mark,

I have a th

"Holy Cow Mark,

I have a thing in the mail in my hand and it looks like you may have already won a weekend trip to Tuckerton, NJ..!

What a coincidence ? Oh the rules say that it is valid only September 19, 2009 and that 12 hours must be qualified for the trip by turning wrenches ?... Are'nt you the lucky one....I 've never won a trip somewhere..."

"I'm always getting them..

"I'm always getting them....one day I'll get lucky and get the all expenses paid kind.

Are you sure your wallet (& back & hands) could stand my old eyes looking at your setup???

Actually, I'd love to but...this is fair month and the batch of pigs this year have been doing very well."

Back