Logo

2000 30 liter starter

gnelly

"Hello. I have a Tahoe Q3 with

"Hello. I have a Tahoe Q3 with 3.0 liter Mercruiser. The starter needed replacement. I went to a local alternator/starter rebuilder and he took my old starter and gave me a new one for $125. Good deal. I installed it and the rear bracket would not line up with the block. the starter also had a "one way drain" (that is what guy at rebuilder stated it was)hose on the bottom of it. I questioned him about the house and the rear bracket not lining up. He said "don't worry about it", we sell these all the time as a repalcement. I asked him if it was for sure a marine starter. The slip says so. (PG260F)I am leary that it is. Any thoughts. BTW, it does turn over the motor."

Is it a much smaller starter?

Is it a much smaller starter?
Or is it the same physical size as the original?

"It is actually longer than th

"It is actually longer than the original I removed...other than that very similar, except for the tube.."

"Long and heavy requires that

"Long and heavy requires that bracket or the 2 mounting bolts will break at the worst possible time.
I wouldn't trust what he gave you - the Delco marine starters have SAE J1171 stamped into the barrel. If yours doesn't... it's probably a car starter...maybe he goops some sealant and thinks that fits the bill for J1171
You can get a hi-torque ministarter off eBay brand new for about $80
They weigh less than half the original starter weight so no rear support needed and they are much easier to install - you can cradle them down in the bilge with 1 hand and start the bolts with the other hand.
They are a sealed design and therefore marine safe.
All that said - they wont be stamped J1171 either, but I use them. I took one apart and there's no spark issues - the brushes/armature commutator bars are well sealed from atmosphere"

"PG260F showed up in a google.

"PG260F showed up in a google.com search on the ishopmarine.com website, also on ebay as a Volvo Penta Starter, sorry to say, $89.95 Ebay Item 330355277911 (can goto ebay.com enter the number in the search field to find)

Ebay Description:

100 % BRAND NEW HIGH TORQUE GEAR REDUCTION STARTER FOR MERCRUISER, VOLVO PENTA, & OMC MARINE

ONE YEAR WARRANTY

MERCURY MERCRUISER, OMC, VOLVO PENTA 2.5L,3.0L, 3.8L 4.3L, 5.0L 5.7L MARINE ENGINES W/12IN. FLYWHEEL

DELCO PG260M SERIES STARTER 1.7KW 12 VOLT, CW, 11 TOOTH PINION DRIVE, 4 TERMINAL SOLENOID

NOTICE THE PICTURE, THIS STARTER LIKE ORIGINAL STARTERS HAS A MARINIZED BLACK EPOXY COATING TO INHIBIT RUST & CORROSION A MUST FOR MARINE APPLICATIONS, THIS IS NOT JUST PAINTED, BUT AN ACTUAL EPOXY COATING APPLIED DURING THE MANUFACTURING PROCESS

THIS STARTER ALSO REPLACES THE EARLIER STYLE 10MT (LARGE CASE) & PG260F SERIES STARTER WHICH HAD A 9 TOOTH DRIVE, REPLACING THE 9 TOOTH WITH THIS 11 TOOTH WILL GIVE YOU MUCH FASTER CRANKING WHICH RESULTS IN QUICKER STARTS

NOTE: 12 Volt, CW, 11 Teeth, PMGR
NOTE: MARINIZED BLACK EPOXY COATING
NOTE: COMPLETE W/ BOLTS SHIMS & GASKET"

"Funny, it also shows up as a

"Funny, it also shows up as a 1997 chev lumina car starter... ( scratching head )"

"So, I went to Mercury and ent

"So, I went to Mercury and entered my boat engine serial number. It came up with a PG260F1 starter.
Also, this new starter is not painted or epoxy coated.
Hmmmm..."

"I am not reccomending this to

"I am not reccomending this to anyone but I have replaced many a marine starter over the years with automotive starters.

that bieng known,

I have purchased rebuilt auto starters from automotive stores and gooped them (yes gooped them) as they are when delivered from a marine parts store.

I have taken enough of them apart to repair, troubleshoot, that I have learned what they do and where they do it to make a auto starter a marine starter.

That being said, If your not satisfied with the starter you got from your local rebuilder then bring it back and ask for your original one to be rebuilt for you.

If you do not trust there ability to marinize it then purchase a new one from a marine source.

Many rebuilt marine starters that can be purchased thru a marine buisness are NOT black epoxied as a new one is.

So if you are dissatisfied with the one you purchased then bring it back and get the correct one.

The ones I have done/replaced that were not marine but converted and are still working and were cheap by comparison.

Almost All new marine parts are painted in a corrosion resistant paint."

I would hope that a reputable

I would hope that a reputable rebuilder would at least use an epoxy spray paint.

One more question. I put in th

One more question. I put in this starter and it works. There were no shims on the old starter (they didn't come out with original one when i removed it). Should they have shims? Thanks again for all the help.

"I haven't seen any shims

"I haven't seen any shims on a GM engine since my '69 Impala, I haven't seen any on the 3.0L Mercruisers or OMC's.

Just make sure you use Starter Bolts for the 2 main bolts and replace the HANGER Bracket at the front end of the starter, else you may break the starter bolts."

"Gary.........

I have the e

"Gary.........

I have the exact samr boat as you. My starter bolts sheared off last boating season while on the water. I am sure the bracket on the front of the starter had worked loose from the engine block. It was still attached to the starter. Both large bolts were trashed, one broke in half and one bent very bad. Had them replaced along with the bracket and has been fine this entire year. Part of my pre-launch routine now is to check the starter/bracket bolts."

Back