Logo

Painting Engine Parts

knuckle47

Advanced Contributor
"The fun has started and I am

"The fun has started and I am ready to get the assembled engine/trans stuff back in the boat. My new bellhousing arrived from the Crusader distributor UNPAINTED and in bright shiny cast aluminum. I can just spray the thing Crusader Blue OR...I can follow a regimen designated for painting raw metal parts. Of course, I have no idea what that may be.

Anyone care to chime in ?"

Use a good primer and you will

Use a good primer and you will be happier a few years from now. But once you beautify that piece you will want to do the whole engine.

"Thanks for the good info....

"Thanks for the good info.... Will start on it tonight...Zinc it is !

EJ I can't tell you how much I love your work. The best part of this PROBLEM has been that I can re-touch all of the parts I did last year and that 1 engine will look great...The other still look nice but there is nothing like fresh and shiny
293692.jpg
trans

Ugh! How I lament for those p

Ugh! How I lament for those poor souls with Vee drives. Just imagine aligning the coupling 'down under there'. Ugh!

Jeff

"Al:

if you weren't pre

"Al:

if you weren't pressed for time, I'd say put it back in tha box and send it to EJ and ask for crusader blue, not custom red.

Given the situation, I'd say your plan is very viable...you've probably got most of it done by now."

"Jeff...IT DOES suck ! I did f

"Jeff...IT DOES suck ! I did find an acceptable way of getting it done. I take the triangular v-berth cushion that completes the bed part and lay it betwen the engines and across the stringer. It takes a little pressure off the ribs

Mark...Terrific Idea, EJ would polish the stainless screw heads until they looked like chrome

As for the time element, it is true, we would have had it back in by now but the bell housing was a surprise and then NOT in local inventory. I did torque up the flywheel and drive damper plate...lubed them up with 271 thread locker !!! ( now they should stay tight until 500 degrees)

Here's a question... do I apply any grease to the splines that mate with the drive damper and the transmission shaft? I know its not a moving part but it is in a crappy environment.."

Yes. You can use the same grea

Yes. You can use the same grease you apply to the splines on your outdrive's "yoke".

"Dave,

It took longer to cu

"Dave,

It took longer to cut the masking tape with an exacto knife than to paint both primer and color coats"

"Back a few years ago when I w

"Back a few years ago when I was building diesel engines for a living, we used to apply the tape, and then with a soft hammer (careful with the aluminum parts) tap around the sharp edge and it would cut the tape perfectly. On cast iron, you can make your own gaskets this way too."

"Now Al, is the bell housing C

"Now Al, is the bell housing Crusader blue? Looks a little dark but I guess it could be the camera. Powder coating is another good alternative and I HIGHLY recommend. And CHEAP. Mark everybody has a crusader blue engines. The trick is to spice it up. I mean for as much time as a boat owner spends in the engine compartment he shouldn't go blind over all that baby blue.

Now after all that abuse I am going to show off

293744.jpg
"

"EJ, Yup! Crusader Blue but th

"EJ, Yup! Crusader Blue but the camera is darkening it...AND your logic is so right. As much time as we spend in that space, it should look great. The powder coating is terrific stuff. Durable as heck. The nice thing is that with paints, you can get it done in your schedule. Powder you gotta wait for the other guy.

I know this sounds crazy but, the DAY THAT THIS damper thing happened I was out in the ocean and we were talking about how practical it would be to remove the flybridge and have the boat hauled to my house. I have a lot of land and there would be plenty of time to do stuff after dinner and weekends and convenient as can possibly be. Let's re-gelcoat the entire boat, polish all the stainless and really make this thing stand out with brilliance and color and shine...JUST LIKE EJ Breeze.

Then the damper exploded and we were limping in on 1 engine...all thoughts of greatness vanished!"

Paul it is a coast guard appro

Paul it is a coast guard approved KN filter. It does a fine job filtering out the fine sand I have in my area.

"There not cheap...I looked in

"There not cheap...I looked into the K & N series for this boat and my limits to a larger unit are the height about the carb to the hatch IF I can squeeze 3 " that is a lot....more like 2 1/2 to be safe IF I remember 2 years ago they were about $140 each...but that is a guess.

They are VERY nice though....EJ, is that a vacuum gauge or fuel pressure to the right side on the manifold?"

Thanks EJ. never seen one like

Thanks EJ. never seen one like that. It would never fit under the hatch in Miss Nancy though.

"Paul,

You can get them fro

"Paul,

You can get them from 1 1/2 " tall to about 12" tall and they do have a much higher air flow with really well filtered intake"

"Just Found out that my neighb

"Just Found out that my neighbors son in law does powder coating.....STAND BACK !

Actually, I will replace a few pulleys as those things really get rough with pitting and corrosion. I am sure the belts will be a little happier"

Now it starts. You'll get

Now it starts. You'll get hooked. Nothing better that the look of powdercoat and stainless together. I have my Lightening Headers for the Sleekcraft build being done now. I can't wait to see them.

Guess What EJ....neither can I

Guess What EJ....neither can I !

I don't know that you have time for this one BUT: I am very hopeful about getting the flybridge and hull finished this "winter" depending on how cold it really gets. I am in NO WAY a painter but no of those issues ever stopped me before so I am REALLY looking into whether to go the Interlux perfection route or try to spray the gelcoat back on in some really cool colors.

I have no idea where to find some good information on prep and use or costs? Not too many people on the web going THAT route.

Interlux has a much of stuff o

Interlux has a much of stuff on their www site.

The ol' standby awlgrip is pretty decent too. Looks pretty good on those custom jobs that have a price tag that exceeds all the salary I've accumulated over 30 years.

"My bow and hull was Awlgrip&#

"My bow and hull was Awlgrip'd in 1996. Still very shiny, outside 24/7 in S. Fla. There is no way I'd go for more gelcoat in any large horizonal application."

"Al both take about the same p

"Al both take about the same prep. Gel will involve tons of sanding afterward. Interlux as Mark suggested is a great paint. It is just a matter of how much time you wish to put in. I painted my flybridge and the 55 feet behind it and so far after 3 years it is holding up to the weather very nice. The hull was gelcoated for easier maintenance an durability. If you choose paint, spraying turns out the best.

293906.jpg

293907.jpg
"

Back