Logo

Corrosion

jasoncalleja

Regular Contributor
Hi I have a Honda BF20 it is 4

Hi I have a Honda BF20 it is 4 months old and it have been about 10 times in water and about 18hrs off work I take the boat every time out of water to wash and clean it and garage it now I noticed that the propeller is corroded from the center of it where is the washer and nut does some one knows if these is an issue that is covered by the guarantee. my problem is that if in 4 months it is corroded what will happen in 2years time ?and does the propeller is doing the work off the anodes?

"I'll have a look at my Ho

"I'll have a look at my Honda the next time I'm in th eislands. However if there is galvanic corrosion caused by a stainless steel washer up against an aluminum prop, try placing a plastic washer in between the two. I routinely separate stainless and aluminum parts on my sailboat or I see the corrosion. I cut washers from plastic water bottles. It's worth a try."

I removed the propeller and be

I removed the propeller and between the stainless steel washer and the aluminum there is the brass bush and there is a space of about 2mm
Between them so I don’t think that corrosion is caused because off aluminum and stainless steel. I screeched the paint and the corrosion is very
Deep so I don’t think that the corrosion has started in this 4 months. In my opinion I think that it was caused from the mould or it is an old stock now I will try to sand it and repaint the part and if it will corrode again i will replace it. Today it is very difficult to buy something that will last and that is good I think that Honda must do something to eliminate this problem as it is not cheap to buy there outboards

"If you got that motor from a

"If you got that motor from a Honda dealer, have them take a look and voice your concern. That should not be happening. Where exactly is the corrosion?

I'm pushing 500 hours and 2 years on a 225 in heavy saltwater, and no signs of corrosion on the lower unit or prop hardware. I remove the prop, inspect, and grease the shaft, thrust washer, and castle nut every time I pull the motor out of the water, which is about every 100 hours."

It is under the castle nut and

It is under the castle nut and washer where it has started the corrosion the prop is a 4 blade aluminium type.but does honda cover corrosion under guarantee?

"Mike Boyd on this forum can a

"Mike Boyd on this forum can answer the warranty coverage question. However, I doubt it.

Where is the corrosion, on the prop, on the drive shaft, or on the lower casing? How deep is it? Describe the type of corrosion you are seeing.

If on the prop only, you're likely dealing with an electrolysis problem. The prop is isolated from the sacrificial anodes. Consider a stainless prop."

Back