Logo

FUEL PUMP454

vjleonardis

Fuel pump went bad on my 1985

Fuel pump went bad on my 1985 454 crusader. I ordered a new one on line. I made sure the ID flange number stamped into the pump was the same.
The old pump has the input at 9 oclock position and the out to the carb at the 3 oclock position. The new pump is just the oposite. The input is at 3 oclock and the input is at 9 oclock position. This is going to make alot of extra work connecting fuel lines. How can this be if the pump number is identical??

"Vince,
Sounds like you order

"Vince,
Sounds like you ordered the wrong pump even though you thought you oredered the correct one. Don't change the plumbing to match the new pump. Reorder the correct one. Always make sure that the new pump you order has the inlet and outlet in the same orientation as the old pump. If in doubt call first to check before ordering."

"If it has the perimeter screw

"If it has the perimeter screws around the body, you can removed them and spin it 180 degrees, and then replace the screws.

I've seen a few that were staked. If you have one of those, a dremel or die grinder can clean it up quick. Locktite is a viable alternative to staking."

Back