Logo

1962 Sea King 9 hp Problem

josh_michaelis

"Got a 62 sea king that wont i

"Got a 62 sea king that wont idle down.

I have adjusted the carb till I am blue in the face, and dont know what else to do. You pull the choke, it starts and dies, push the choke in and it starts, but as soon as you idle it down, it dies. Any suggestions?"

My guess would be the high and

My guess would be the high and low speed mixture adjustments on the carb are a little off and therefore need to be re-adjusted.
Start with one full turn from closed on each. Start motor in gear and at full throttle once motor is running adjust the High speed first. Slowly turn it in until the motor starts to die. When it starts to die turn it back about an 1/8 to a 1/4 of a turn and it should be about right. Once you get the high speed working adjust the low speed the same way. Slow the motor down and adjust it. As the motor picks up speed drop the throttle down and keep adjusting it. until you can't improve it any more. (be sure to disconnect the low speed from the outside knob and adjust it with the hood off) You can do this by backing the motor/boat into the water and leaving it on the trailer. This may or may not solve your problem but it's one remedy to these old motors.
I have same motor.

It could be that the idle circ

It could be that the idle circuit in the carb is plugged. There should be a welsh plug on top of the carb. This is a round plug of aluminum. You will need a repair kit for the carb. Make sure the kit provides the plug. Drill a small hole in the plug and pry it out. Underneath you will see 4-5 small holes leading into the carb body behind the throttle plate. Clean all them and also you will be able to see the low speed needle. Make sure the needle is pointed at the end and not bent or broken off. With the needle removed you should be able to see all the way through the passage. To reinstall the plug push it into the opening and then tap the center to mush it out.

Back