Logo

Baring

"Alvin,

What year/engine/ou

"Alvin,

What year/engine/outdrive are you working with??
Also what bearing on what shaft are you referring too??"

um 78 greww195ss with a chrysl

um 78 greww195ss with a chrysler 318volvo250 outdrive the barin on the main shaft that the drive goes into if that helps?

"Do you see the shaft in this

"Do you see the shaft in this image?
293599.jpg

Or is this the Primary Drive Shaft bearing that you are asking about?

."

"OK, The shaft that the univer

"OK, The shaft that the universal shaft Yoke slides onto is your PDS (primary drive shaft).

Now, need to know if this Chrysler application uses a single or double bearing on this shaft..... I've seen these either way before.

If single, the shaft will come out AFT once the two large snap rings are removed.
If double, the engine may need to come out, or be moved forward enough to access the front of this shaft.

The shaft in either event, comes out AFT.

The bearings/seals can be obtained via a good bearing supplier for a fraction of what you may pay through a marine parts supplier.

."

what i can see it looks like 1

what i can see it looks like 1 barin i have to unbolt the engin and move it bck to get it out? is there another way to take it out from the out side?

"Alvin, sorry, and I'll tr

"Alvin, sorry, and I'll try to be more clear here:

1. Whether this PDS has one or two bearings on it, when it is removed, it will be removed AFT.... (that means out the "rear" in marine terminology!)

2. Whether one or two bearings, both AFT large snap rings must be removed! (this requires a very long "modified-at-the-tips", needle nose pliers.)

***If one (1) bearing only, the shaft can occasionally be pulled out AFT (again, that's rearward) once the snap rings are out of the way.
This requires grabbing onto the shaft with an <font size=""+1"">extremely Large Vice-Grip pliers</font> and pulling.

***If two (2) bearings are on this shaft, it makes removing the PDS out AFT a little more complex... in-that;

(a.) you will be fighting the friction of the FWD bearing (that's the one towards the front of the shaft) as it will be a snug fit onto this PDS.

(b.) the FWD bearing will NOT come out with the shaft, but will rather remain in the flywheel cover until you can access it from the FWD side ....... of which usually means that the engine must be removed.

(c.) only the AFT bearing can be replaced..... but this is OK as it is the one that takes most of the shaft load....... and if you plan to remove the engine during the next off season, the FWD bearing can be replaced then!

So you can see that you have a few things yet to discover. My guess is, this uses the two bearings!

It is certainly worth a try to see if it can come out the aft end of the flywheel cover.
You have nothing to loose by trying.

This would be a good read for you.
http://www.marineengine.com/discus/messages/12487/293423.shtml
Here is another ME.com forum thread on this;
http://www.marineengine.com/discus/messages/12487/293128.shtml

Seems like there are a few more also. "

Back