Logo

Timing chain housing oil leak

moresummerfun

I have a pair of 1986 454'

I have a pair of 1986 454's in a 37 silverton -- just about 1700hrs

starboard engine has oil leak in the front of the engine -- mech thinks is from timing chain house

Said its a comment prob for 454's -- surprise I got this far with no problem

Make sense ?

"Is that 1700 original hours o

"Is that 1700 original hours on the engines? Any major work on the block, pistons, heads, etc. ??"

1700 hour on the engines -- bo

1700 hour on the engines -- bought the boat in 1994 with 250 hrs --

no major work at all -- 2 seasons ago had some overheat issues -- ending up being heat exhange needed major boil out -- I think the overheating may have been start of problem -- port engine has no issue

"I'd think the balancer se

"I'd think the balancer seal would leak before the cover gasket; moving vs fixed and the friction factor.

Using the search function, above, will show you the history recorded here."

"Pull the damper pulley, the t

"Pull the damper pulley, the timing chain cover, and replace both the gasket and seal. Not a difficult job. Seriously.

Jeff"

You may have a wear spot in th

You may have a wear spot in the crank shaft also. You can buy a RediSleeve to slip over the shaft and make it like new also. they cost about $35

"Instead of battling with a Re

"Instead of battling with a Redi-Sleeve in the bilge, you can simply space the new seal out a 1/16 of an inch with a spacer (cut out of plastic) and let it run on "virgin" metal. Do this all the time and it works great.

Jeff"

Fastjeff
With any luck the on

Fastjeff
With any luck the only issue will be with timing chain housing --

Not sure about the metal on metal -- what year engines have you done this with ?

"A whole bunch of them! Isn&#

"A whole bunch of them! Isn't really obvious nad easy to do: just space the new seal a bit out of the housing so the new seal's on new metal, not the groove worn in the shaft from the old seal.

Jeff"

"Tony,

I believe, and maybe

"Tony,

I believe, and maybe Mark and/or Jeff can confirm, that you will have to also remove the circulating water pump in order to remove the timing case cover. This would involve draining/capturing the antifreeze in a closed cooling system. Then replacing the cover, after installing a new crankshaft seal in it, would mean a new timing cover to block gasket and also a new timing cover to oil pan seal which is part of the entire oil pan gasket set. Now if your cover is anything like mine (rusty as hell) you may want to think about replacing the cover (which comes with a new crankshaft seal) as it may be the source of the leak.

I went through the exercise of replacing the crankshaft seal earlier this year without removing/resealing the cover and there is still a leak, so I will be digging deeper into it later this fall. I will be interested in how you make out with yours.

I have 1989 454's in my '90 Silverton 34C.

Erich"

Erich: Good call on the pump.

Erich: Good call on the pump.

You can also use flange adhesive on the verical surface and RTV around the pan lip to seal the housing.

Back