Logo

Nissan NSD40 TLDI Warning Light Question

grosbc

"Have a 2008 NSD 40 TLDI tille

"Have a 2008 NSD 40 TLDI tiller steer with about 100 hours on it. It runs great, but recently I've had an issue come up that at WOT (5700 rpms) when I trim up the three warning lamps will start to flash. They don't flash at any other speed than wide open and only when I trim up high. It's not the rev limiter as it'll happen about 5700 rpms. The manual simply says take it in for service. My question is what problems does the 3 lights flashing indicate? Is it possibly low water pressure which would make some sense since this is a tunnel boat and the engine starts getting higher out of the water when WOT and highly trimmed. There is a warning light for high water temp, but that isn't lighted when I have the 3 lamps blinking. They stop blinking as soon as I either trim down some or slow down some. Any tips before I bring it in would be appreciated."

Thanks! Do you happen to have

Thanks! Do you happen to have the procedure for resetting the TPS? I don't have a service manual with me and want to test this before having to haul the boat to my dealer.

"Your battery is probably too

"Your battery is probably too small and the TPS procedure is:

With the throttle in the fully closed position adjust the cables or wires in order to bring the advancer arm into contact with the fully closed stopper position. Then move the throttle several times to confirm that the arm is seated snugly against the fully closed stopper.

Perform the following with the throttle in the fully closed position:
Set the key switch to the on position. Disconnect the kill switch lanyard within one second after the beep stops sounding.
Wait about 5 to 10 seconds and pull the red knob on the stop switch for about .5 seconds, then release the switch.
Wait another 5 to 10 seconds, again pull the red knob for about .5 seconds, then release the switch.
If you hear three short beeps in about 5 seconds you did it correctly. If you don't hear the beeps you goofed up or the engine needs to go into a dealer to find out whats wrong.....The single most common problem with these things is the battery choice. You need a 1000 CCA battery to energise the ignition system."

"Thanks! I had a battery go b

"Thanks! I had a battery go bad a few weeks ago, so that would explain it. Have since replaced it, so hopefully I'm good to go now."

One question about the procedu

One question about the procedure. not quite clear on how to adjust the wires or cables in order to bring the advancer arm into contact with the stopper. Is this an adjustment?

Take the cover off of the engi

Take the cover off of the engine. Then turn the throttle grip until you see advancer arm come into contact with the stopper

"Finally got around to resolvi

"Finally got around to resolving this problem. To recap, I had an intermittent problem where all three warning lights flashed. usually it happpened above 5000 rpms, but sometimes would happen in the morning then not later in the day. Turned out to be a bad spark plug. The engine had no other signs of missing or other problems, but changing the plugs cured the problem. I've since purchased a service manual and all three warning lights flashing can indicate 7 different potential problems with a bad spark plug being one of them. I don't have a Nissan tach, so it doesn't enable me to further narrow down a problem though. Hope this info helps anyone else having a similar problem."

Back