Logo

454 engine noise

mike993

"Just looking for some ideas.

"Just looking for some ideas. 1 of my 454's has a noise sounds like loose rocker but after a few minutes it seems to get deeper like a rod, perfect oil press, compression is good all cyls not sure where to check from here? If engine needs to come out can i remove the trans and just remove the engine, new to shafts always had stern drives so i am a litle nervous! Thanks for any help."

Can you pull just the engine?

Can you pull just the engine? yes but not done that way too often - much more work in the hull.

"Best case is maybe a loose ro

"Best case is maybe a loose rocker nut. It has been known to happen. A bit worse is a worn cam lobe, not at all unheard of on these engines. Of course, a bad crank bearing is possible. The cam/rocker stuff should not be a huge deal; First: i'd do a valve adjustment, If the noise is still there, remove the accessories. If the noise is still there, inspect the cam. If that looks ok, pull the lifters and inspect. If they visual OK, THEN pull the engine."

I just purchased this boat and

I just purchased this boat and i was told the surveyor had tested the boat for another party and when he cleared the brakewater he went wot both engines cold and it came back with this noise. 600hrs on this engine. I have adjusted the valves noise still there?

"The jerk! I run my engines at

"The jerk! I run my engines at WOT just once or twice a year, for test purposes, and never when they are cold.

I agree: Pull the valve covers and look for any loose rockers. (Pull the coil wire from the distributor and wheel her over.) If you're paying attention---and I know you will be!-- any loose rockers should be readily apparent.

Jeff"

Ok i checked rockers as fast j

Ok i checked rockers as fast jeff advised all seems well here. Looks like i will need to remove this engine but do not have the room to remove engine and trans together what needs to come off to seperate trans form engine. Thanks for all the great info guys!

I'll defer to Al; I think

I'll defer to Al; I think he experiencing intimate contact with his V-drive today.

"Mike,

My v-drive is thankf

"Mike,

My v-drive is thankfully and reasonably easy. My hatches are large and while the room around them and below just sucks, the transmission and v-drive remain attached to the engine while we removed them. There would be no way I would be able to separate either from their position in the hull. The weight is beyond my limits and the space to draw them apart is limited to about 5 inches...the mounting studs are 4" on the bellhouse. Check out the photo in my recent post about putting the engine back

IF YOU REALLY believe that your best solution will be to haul the engine, I think you are best trying to get it all out as one IF space permits"

Al my double mounts are on the

Al my double mounts are on the gear single on engine. So from what i have seen you removed yours fully intact? I was looking at mine and was thinking i would need to remove the exhaust and acc pullys to gain room but i may be able to lift at an angle to clear trans? Just wondering if this sounds doable?

"Like I mentiond Mike, my hatc

"Like I mentiond Mike, my hatches are thankfully large. Kind of like taking off a pair of shoes. The heel lifts out and the rest follows on the angle"

Well Al i have 3 hatches and l

Well Al i have 3 hatches and lots of will power i'm going to attempt to take it out on saturday. I took the boat out and blocked it today so i will let you know how it goes. Thanks very much for your help!

Back