Logo

AQ131C to 1Q171A upgrade is it doable

90regal

I have a aq131c right now and

I have a aq131c right now and it does ok but the 19 foot Regal just seems too heavy for the engine. Someone mentioned I could swap in a DOHC AQ171A. How difficult is this swap? Do I need to change anything in the bell housing or stern? Is it a bolt on? Need help thanx. Also is the DOHC volvo car engine the same.

"The bellhousing (flywheel

"The bellhousing (flywheel housing) bolts in either engine, and the exhaust pipe is identical, so it is a direct swap. The exhaust manifolds are different, though.

If my notes are correct, the AQ171C block is the same as a 1989 244Volvo car, or a 1991 760Volvo (B230 DOHC)."

"El pescador, thanx so much fo

"El pescador, thanx so much for your answer. I appreciate it greatly.Is it recommended to use a car engine? are they the same as far as HP and torque? Oh and how do you recommend I get around the ExManifold difference?

Thank you sir."

"Hoof, the car engine block ma

"Hoof, the car engine block may be the same as th4e marine block, but the starter, alternator, fuel pump, carbs, intake and exhaust manifolds, distributor, cams (and some other things I may have omitted) are different. The only rationale to use a car engine would be to marinize it by using all the above marine components from a worn-out or blown AQ171A that you already own.

Regarding the exhaust manifold, I don't think they are available aftermarket, so be prepared to pay at least $1700 (nope, that's not a misprint) for an original manifold from Volvo Penta.

http://www.dougrussell.com/partscatalog/volvo_omc/index.cfm?fuseaction=comp&grou p=1990&GroupList=2008,2007,1982,1981,1992,1993,1994,1995,1996,1997,1986,1980,197 9,1983,2006,2005,1985,1990,2012,1991,1987,1998,2000,2003,2001,2004,1984,1989,201 0,1988,2011,2009,1999,2002

In view of the new (to you) reality, are you sure you still want to go the AQ171A way?
wink.gif
"

"WOWAAA!!!!!! I'll stick t

"WOWAAA!!!!!! I'll stick to what i got now, I get 25-28 MPH on the plane. I could do without the extra 5-10MPH with that upgrade. I'll spend the money on a good weber and tune. Not worth the extra money unless someone is parting out their boat. Thank you so much for the help buddy. You are a knowledgeable person and a true asset to this forum. Thank you."

"You are welcome, and thank yo

"You are welcome, and thank you for the complement. I think yours is a wise decision, but if you are going to go the Weber conversion way, you may benefit from a V cam or a K cam rather than having the original A cam. You see, the A cam is standard in all single carb (read lower powered) VP OHC engine, but the V cam is installed in the dual carb applications (AQ140, AQ151) and the K cam is installed in the AQ145. I have heard good reports from people installing the Weber kit on 4 cyl OHC engines, but I am sure you will get extra performance if you also install a V cam. You can Google them. The A cam (yours) Volvo part number is 1376767; the V cam is part 1346442; and the K cam is part 1336775.

Higher powered OHC engines also have an oil cooler, but you may get away with what you have just by using higher oil grade (SAE15W-40 for example).

Good luck in your conversion."

"Pescador, the information you

"Pescador, the information you just gave me is so important to me you just don't know. I own a performance shop in California so now you are talking my language. I installed and ignition system yesterday and converted everything from points over to electronic. Boat purrs but like we say in the business " I gotta have more balls". I don't want to do too much, I just like many gear heads hate running stock. So you say V cam? Ok great I will pick one up ASAP. This is just an ok boat for now and if I really wanted I would have bought one with a 5.7 in it but it's my first boat and I want to learn since "marine"is a totally different animal. Sir your info is valuable and your knowledge is vast. V cam it is. Thank you friend."

"Hoof, you are welcome. For mo

"Hoof, you are welcome. For more information, check this link

http://www.stonis-world.net/docs/volvo_camshafts.pdf

where you can find info about the 3 cams under discussion (A, K & V). Keep in mind that, on that list, both the K (1306167, old number) and "Marin" (1336775, new number) refer to the very same camshaft.

These other two lists are not as detailed, but I have included them anyway.

http://www.elisanet.fi/juha.uusitorppa/korjaamo/nokka_akselit2.htm

http://www.turbobricks.com/resources.php?content=camspec"

"El, you are a wealth of knowl

"El, you are a wealth of knowledge on these OHC engines! I'm impressed! Seriously!
I participate on another very active boating forum.... I'm much more into the V engines and Volvo I/O drives. However, the next time that an issue like this comes up, I know where I'm going to send them."

"Don't expect miracles fro

"Don't expect miracles from me, Ricardo!!

I haven't worked on the 4 cyl OHC for a few years by now, but I still remember a fair amount of things about them. Also, over the years, I have collected quite a bit of data about those engines, and I have taken the time to cross-reference many VP part numbers to find out "what fits where", but that's all.

I feel I can help on a number of instances, but please don't raise the bar too high!!!!"

Back