Logo

Engine Distributor Install

island_boy

Contributing Member
Could anyone inform me of the

Could anyone inform me of the steps to install distributor properly? I have a 4.1 250ci 165hp inline six chevrolet engine. Its remanufactured. I removed distributor from my old engine and labled the plug wires. Explain how to make certain engine is at TDC and which # cylinder should the rotor in the distributor be pointing to. Also any information on how to prime engine oil pump and make sure engine has oil at the critical areas before start up. Many thanks for all the good information obtained on this site
Island Boy

"Edwin, very easy. Simple way

"Edwin, very easy. Simple way for you is to put a finger over the #1 cylinder (not in) and rotate the motor until you hear and feel pressure coming from that cylinder,this is your compresson stroke, piston is coming up to TDC. Now look at your balancer and rotate the motor by hand just until the line on the balancer lines up with the zero on the timing tab. Your at TDC. Now the rotor needs to point to #1 cylinder on the cap. Now it gets better, if the motor is in the boat and everything is connected, and its a point type dist. you can turn the key to on and as you rotate the dist. the points will open and you will here a pop and that will get you close to your initinal timing and should start right up!"

"'Edwin, very easy. Simple

"'Edwin, very easy. Simple way for you is to put a finger over the #1 cylinder (not in) and rotate the motor until you hear and feel pressure coming from that cylinder,this is your compresson stroke, piston is coming up to TDC'.

May not be, only 50% chance.
You have to remove the valve cover and notice the valves on cyl 1.
If the valves changes from exhaust to inlet -you have to go another 360 degree(turn) on the crank shaft, but if rocker arms are 'loose' and do not move you are on compression stroke.
Stop turning when the TDC mark on the balancer is about 6 degree BEFORE TDC.
Turn the rotor about 30Degrees before it is on the 1 Cyl mark in the distributor, and carefully let it down. When dist gear engages with camshaft, it will normally align up rather close to the cyl 1 mark on the distributor. Be sure you have lined up the oil-pump shaft before attempting to put on the distributor. Turn the dist just so the points starts to open, then tighten screw.
That should be close enough for the engine to start, but ign must be verified after start!!"

"Edwin sorry morten is right,

"Edwin sorry morten is right, should have been more through, getting the the drive key on the bottom of the dist. lined up with the oil pump shaft and the distributor gear and cam gear to mesh at the same time may be a little bothersome. If it stops 1/4 from going all the way down the oil pump drive key and oil pump shaft are not aligning. Go to www.classiccarauto.com/impala/howto/install distributor for some good info"

There's only be 1 compress

There's only be 1 compression stroke.
If you feel pressure -you got it - you're on your way to TDC #1 compression.

Back