Logo

Older Honda 75 hp sputters no power

anujapt3

"Starts up and idles rough, sp

"Starts up and idles rough, sparks well, new sprk plugs........ at higher throttle misses just like at idle.....lots of crud in carb and fuel sys. cleaned.....still doing it. Spits and coughs out carb once in a while. Any ideas?"

"Carburator can be difficult t

"Carburator can be difficult to completely clean, especially ports & passageways in upper part; add propane (use a Torch w/flame off) to see if 'miss' goes away to eliminate carb as a problem.

Check valve clearances:

IN - EX = 0.06 mm - 0.10 mm (0.002" - 0.004")

with engine cold, most recommend a little more, like 0.005".

Do a compression test: WOT and ignition off or grounded. (must be in fwd gear for WOT)"

"If the timing is off by one n

"If the timing is off by one notch, it can seem like a dirty carb.

Don't forget the check that. Procedure differs depending on if it has points or cdi.

Pilotart has some excellant posts on how to check that. I just can not find them right now."

"Thank you all for replies so

"Thank you all for replies so far. I'll check valve clearances and timing tomorrow. Also when it runs it seems like it misses and sways the engine to one side when it does so. Its a points ignition sys. Both plugs came out dry black color, guess its running rich. NO power at all for idle to full throttle just a louder noise from the carb, not a very great deal in RPMs either. I'm thinking fuel sys or valve timing. Anybody have a link to ow to check timing? Thanks again."

Also if it is lean "sneezi

Also if it is lean "sneezing" I pulled the choke and it still did not run better ( as in no change) at 90% choke no difference at 100% engine quits. I am puzzled....

That model with "points&#3

That model with "points" runs like a positive ground. try removing the kill switch and oil lite wire from the coil. They had a really weak spark even when running good. If your timing belt is so much as half a cog off they run really bad. and foul one plug. you may need to remove the starter to see the timing mark.

So it turns out that the belt

So it turns out that the belt was off mark. The "F" mark on flywheel was where the "T" mark should have been. Then another problem popped up and it was dirt in the idle circuit of the carb. Its all set and running well. THANKS EVERYBODY!!!!!

Back