Logo

Help replacing drive shaft bearings on AQ131 275

barryf

"I'm doing an engine block

"I'm doing an engine block swap on my AQ131 with 275 OD, and am in process of transferring parts from the old B230 block to the newer one. I need some clarification on the steps to replace the flywheel cover bearings and seals. It took me all of the last week to get the flywheel cover seperated from the block, so tonight was definately party night! Turned out the shaft was stuck in the crank pilot, and required lots of driving wedges in to set it free. Now, I have the flywheel cover off, and the vibration damper is removed, but I'm not clear on the next steps. The shaft doesn't want to come out of the flywheel cover, so is there an order in which I remove the seals and clips to set it free? Should I be able to remove the seals with needle nose pliers. I tried to pull the rear (outer) seal with pliers, but it seems locked in place. Do I start at the stern side or engine side, and which way will the shaft be pulled out? It seems this should be straight forward, but Clymer is pretty vague. Here are some pics. I'm going to take a break now and enjoy the fact that the flywheel cover finally came off! Thanks, Barry.

Engine side:
293424.jpg
eng side"">

Stern side:
293425.jpg
stern side

"Barry, I'm by no means an

"Barry, I'm by no means an expert but have wrestled with this on my 130. I have the Seloc manual and also the Volvo maintenance manual and the Volvo manual is much more help. The parts come out the aft end (snout) of the flywheel cover. I used an adjustable snap ring pliers - plus a few new cuss words. Keep an eye on how the parts come out and their relationship to the snap ring grooves. The rear most seal has a large gap between it and the bearing and can be a source of confusion. During reassembly, make sure you hand pack the shaft bearing and the the thrust bearing in the flywheel to try to minimize the problems you had when disassembling it.

If you have the old style grease cup on the housing, you can replace it with a 10mm, angled grease zerk.

By the way - conrats on getting as far as you have. Sounds like you're on the way!"

"Barry, forget the Clymers and

"Barry, forget the Clymers and Seloc manuals.... you want an OEM manual for any of this stuff. IMO.

The shaft will be removed AFT of the flywheel cover just as Joe suggests.
The seal will be sacrificed.
You will need a very long, modified needle nose pliers to grip the two large snap rings.
These work much better than any snap ring pliers that I have found!
Once removed, the shaft (along with it's bearing) will come out AFT.
Now you remove the small snap ring, and the bearing is free to be pressed from the shaft.

NOTE: The crankshaft pilot bearing is a centering device only since the PDS on these is a single bearing shaft......... it's apparently a carry-over from the auto engine installation with std transmissions.
It does not spin during marine use. Centering of the Borg Warner nose end of the PDS only!

Yes, replace the fill cap with a grease zirk.... or better yet, a 18" grease gun extension hose zip tied to the throttle cable where it will be visible in the future. Zirk in end of hose!

Use an open bearing.... pre-fill the cavity (while you spin the shaft) until you see grease coming through the bearing, all prior to installing the seals.
Lube this at oil change intervalss with the engine running at idle in the future! Two/three pumps only."

"Thanks guys. This will be my

"Thanks guys. This will be my project for today. I've been tugging on the outer seal with pliers but it's not moving. I think I'll run out and buy a seal puller. I assume you just have to hook the inside lip of the seal and yank hard until it collapses and pulls out? After that, I just need to get the one large snap ring off, and then tap the shaft out from the engine side. Sounds like a plan."

"Barry, like said, you will be

"Barry, like said, you will be sacrificing the seal.... no holds bared!
It's an inexpensive seal..... 35x62x7mm in a TCM or Timken.
These can be ordered at the same time you have your bearing brought in. (a bearing supplier can get these for you.... two/three days!)

The bearing should be a 6206 open bearing, unless you do not have a grease port! No grease port, then this P/N has an extension code dictating a sealed bearing of the exact same dimensions.

And no.... there will be two snap rings that need to come out! One as a seal "stop", and one as a bearing "retainer".
The third snap ring is a compression snap ring that holds the bearing onto the PDS.
You won't remove that until the PDS is out!

Trust me on the suggestion of the straight long needle nose pliers for the first two expansion snap rings! Modify the tips to fit the snap ring eyelets. "

"Success! The seals came out

"Success! The seals came out easily with a small slide hammer and hook. The first large snap ring came out fine with long skinny needle nose pliers. At this point I didn't see the second large snap ring, so I went to work on the small compression ring. Boy was that tough to get out while the shaft was still in the flywheel housing. Needless to say, it was only after struggling with the small ring that I discovered the second large snap ring was hidden under some grease. Lesson learned, clean your work area so you can see what you are doing. After the second large ring was off (which was no easy task either) the shaft came right out. Now I need to get a bearing puller, because it doesn't feel like the shaft bearing is moving any other way.

Thanks Ricardo and Joe!"

Take a brass drift punch and d

Take a brass drift punch and drive this bearing from the shaft...... you're not going to re-use it anyway.

Polish the bearing resting surface to remove andy rust/staining!
Use a light coating of grease or anti-sieze on the surface.
Carefully drive against the INNER race only... one side/then the other/back/forth until it seats.... and wella...... you've got the NEW bearing in place.
Replace small snap ring.
Simple/Easy/Done!

"Okay Ricardo, in my 20+ y

"Okay Ricardo, in my 20+ yr old boat I've found few things that were Simple/Easy/Done! :^)

I got no where using a drift to try an tap the old bearing off the drive shaft. Lucky for me, this was an excuse to go buy a new tool (hint from El Pescador)...

293697.jpg
hyd press"">

The only thing I like more than working on this boat is buying new tools! Woohooo. The hydraulic press made quick work of that old bearing. Now I'm all about improvising, but having the right tool for the job sure makes things easier! New parts are on order, so it will be a few days before re-assembly starts."

Back