Logo

Bf75 oil light

Do you have the 7.5HP or the 7

Do you have the 7.5HP or the 75HP? The lights work differently.

What is the serial number? Then we can tell for sure.

"Method 1.

The manual reads

"Method 1.

The manual reads as follows;

"When the lamp does not come on, check the engine oil level and the pressure switch. If there is no fault, replace the lamp. If the lamp still does not work, replace the CDI.

To check the pressure switch, remove the pressure switch and run the engine at idle. Make sure oil comes out of the the oil pressure switch hole. If not inspect the oil pump.

If the oil pressure is normal, (clean the end of the pressure switch), reinstall the pressure switch and check for continuity between the wire from the pressure switch and ground. If continuity exists, the switch is normal."

Your serial number indicates you have a CDI type ignition (no points), the lamp can not be tested by normal continuity. It is a neon type lamp.

Method 2:
This is another way to check based on what I am seeing in the wiring diagram. Again assuming you have a cdi ignition.

The white lead going to the lamp should have some amount of ac voltage (probably less than 100vac). This voltage is a reduced amount of voltage from the charge coil picked up from inside the CDI.

Connect the other side of the lamp directly to ground. That bypasses the oil pressure switch. Run the engine. If the voltage is there and it does not light...bad lamp. If the lamp lights, then you have a bad/dirty oil pressure switch or bad oil pressure.

Hope my garbling was not too confusing..."

"most excellent, thank you ver

"most excellent, thank you very much .. I plan to buy a manual soon.
"

Back