Logo

Overheated bf100

arthur2k3

"Hi i have a bf100 outboard an

"Hi i have a bf100 outboard and it is about 1985 i used it twice since getting it the first time was great, but the second time it was ok most of he day then it overheated and stopped leaving me in the middle of the river. i tried in vain to start it but it wasnt going to.i had noticed that the water run out tube was not a continuos stream as it was at the begining. i have put a new impeller in and new lower gear oil.it now refuses to start. i cant see a spark at the plugs.i did smell a burning smell just before it stopped.i am lost as what to do now please could you help.thankyou."

"Won't run at all without

"Won't run at all without spark. Check wires for burn damage and continuity.

Check ground lead from CDI (continuity of other six leads as well), further test of CDI requires Shop Manual and specific SANWA or KOWA Meter.

The CDI itself would be least likey to be damaged by overheat, but Pulser and Exciter Coils more likely.

With your OHM Meter: Pulser Coil (under cam) should have 120 OHM between leads, Exciter Coil (under flywheel) should show 330 OHM lead to ground, Ignition Coil should show 8k OHM between spark leads and 0.56 OHM primary post to ground.

Shift Gear cut-off can be tested by connecting two leads together and stop/safety switches by disconnecting."

"Thanks pilotart but i have a

"Thanks pilotart but i have a spark at plugs,but it just refuses to start. I have cleaned the carb jets with air. There is fuel getting into the carb, i have tried putting fuel directly into the bore but to no avail.Would it still be the pulser or exciter. once again thankyou."

"If you see a spark, no.

"If you see a spark, no.

All that is needed to run is compression (should feel with start cord pull) spark at the right moment and correct fuel mix in cylinder.

For Cam/Spark timing, you could check for timing belt 'jumping' a tooth.

There is a 'T' | mark on flywheel and an '|' on top of aft starter mount post. Every other turn (clockwise), you should see the 'punch' mark on cam pully line up with a 'punch' mark on top of cylinder (it's just starboard of centerline) as the Flywheel/Post '|'s line up on odd turn.

For fuel check, get an aerosol can of "Starting" fluid and spray A LITTLE into intake, if it runs a few seconds, then you know it is carb/fuel problem.

This is ether, which was used in surgery as an anesthetic 'go-to-sleep' drug, so don't inhale any of it."

Back