Logo

Maintenance AQ225D 280

signusx1

Contributing Member
"'Mavis' is running gr

"'Mavis' is running great and it will soon be time to winterize.
I am intending to service my driveline in the off season and am wondering Riccardo, how many hours of labour is involved in replacing the u-joints? Also what bearings/components should be replaced? I have put +/- 150 hrs on her this season and want to keep her in good condition."

"Much depends on whether or no

"Much depends on whether or not you have any corrosion issues with the fasteners.
Heat is your friend on any of this when you first attempt to remove any of the four clamping collar bolts, of which the thread inserts are housed in the main gear case.
These are "wet area" bolts on a 280!

I rarely attempt to remove any of these without first heating the gear case.
If you were to have even one corroded thread, you'll know what I am speaking of.... and it aint fun!

The rest is simple given that you pay close attention to any and all shims. There's a hand full of them on any 280 bearing box. And if you were to replace the main seal surface spacer/washer, a new shim value must be calculated.

If you were to replace the main drive gear bearings (of which is becoming protocol for me on these by now), it helps greatly to have hypoid gear experience in order to set some of the values.
Main drive gear bearings can also be purchased via a bearing supplier. P/N's will be on the races.
(The shims within the seal surface washer control rolling torque/pre-load.)

The two driven gear bearings rarely go bad..... but do check them! Never know!

BTW, you can use the Spicer 5-1306X bearing crosses.

Post back when the time comes. One of us will guide you through the process.

."

Back