Logo

Partial Success

rmd

"Well after a few threads and

"Well after a few threads and some hard work I finally got it running. Took it out and had it going 25-30 without it backfiring once. Turns on the first turn of the ignition switch and the backfiring that was a constant issue is gone. The following is what was done to get it going:
1) Removed the distributor and cleaned it out due to it being rusty and nasty looking inside.
2) Following El Pescador's advice I installed an electronic ignition to replace points.
3) Replaced the starter. But while trying to get it working noticed a loose cable that may have caused the original starter to act as if it was broke. Now I have to test it to see if I have a good working spare starter.

Remaining Issues Help is appreciated to eliminate these):
happy.gif

1) Tachometer reading is erratic at high speed but not in low speed.
2) Water leak. Do not know where and will be Underway (Navy Sailor) for a week so more details will follow.

Lesson learned:
1) UPGRADE TO ELECTRONIC IGNITION. Even a newbie (me) can tell the big difference.
2) When you remove the distributor make sure to mark where the rotor is pointing at. Memory tends to fail so mark it with a paint pen or something. I didn't and it cost me a few hours or so.
3) Check all your connections (+ and -) for rust, loose terminals and dirt. This can save you some good money in parts.
4) Dont be scared to get dirty. This is my first boat and all the help I received from everyone here made it a lot easier and saved me lots of money.

Once again thanks to all for your help. El Pescador, your valuable assistance was greatly appreciated. Many threads here say your the best , not to kiss any butt or anything, and I agree. For all you fellow newbies follow the advice you get here and you should be up and running soon. O.k just dont let this long letter make you forget of my problems that still remain.
biggrin.gif
"

"...and will be Underway &

"...and will be Underway (Navy Sailor) for a week..."

Sounds like it's time to station the maneuvering watch and get that pig underway.

Thanks for serving.

"Not only mark where the distr

"Not only mark where the distributor was, Joe, but do not remove it until you bring # 1 cylinder around to TDC on Comp Stroke.
This way, you'll have no troubles getting it fired back up and timed.
This can apply to any multiple cylinder gasoline engine ignition!

Good info/glad that you shared it!
happy.gif

."

Back