Logo

Electronic ign conversion

cap10mac

"Hello all,

After reading a

"Hello all,

After reading a recent post I now have some questions. I want to change out to electronic ign. I have a GM 350. the boat is a 1971, but I think the boat was repowered in the 1980's. The distributor is tagged as a Mallory part number YL 585 EV. after many google searches, I can't find a match. There is no vacuum on this unit and it has points and condenser.It also has the flat, red, crab cap, like pictured in the thread on "fuel pump capacity." It runs great right now, but when it goes I would like to upgrade to electronic.

My questions would be 1) is this an automotive distributor? 2) does that matter, it's been in the boat for 20+ with no problems. 3) what electronic unit would it be, I am coming up with pertronix part # 18-5296-2. 4)is this the correct dist. cap or do I need to change it out to a tall cap?

Thank you in advance, everyone has been very helpful on past posts, I really appreciate it.

Chris"

"Hey Chris, I did some researc

"Hey Chris, I did some research on your dist. and it is a factory installed unit. The YL 502,566,585,623 units were used in Chris Craft and alot of other manufactures.Your cap #221B,rotor #319,point #25042,and condenser #400 are replacement parts. Mallory offers 2 different conversion kits for your unit,There UNILITE Breakerless conversion #559 or the E-SPARK eletronic conversion #61005M. Now if the dist. is just worn out #YLU520CV is a complete unit that will drop in, 3 wire hookup that will work nicely.}"

"Thank you for the response. H

"Thank you for the response. Harry, what is the difference between the two models. the E spark is about half the cost of the Unilite. Is there a substantial increase in performance with the Unilite. Also if I convert to breakerless can I eliminate the ballast resistor? And do I need to, or should I, upgrade the coil?

Thanks again for the input."

"Chris, not to sure about the

"Chris, not to sure about the difference of the 2 items. I have run the Unilite before and it worked very well. The E-Spark was not available back then. They are both simple ignition triggers and the E-Spark seems like a very nice unit as well and like you said the E-Spark is almost 1/2 price,59-60 bucks. you will have to use a inline ballast with the correct resistance, the Mallory MAL-700 is the correct one.A good inexpensive performance coil is the Mallory MAL-29220.Go to www.centuryperformance.com/mallory-unilite-e-spark-testing and you can read up on some good info"

Back