Logo

Oil Change

jlblau

"Does everyone change crankcas

"Does everyone change crankcase oil and lower unit lube annually, regardless of hours run?"

"Honda recommends changing oil

"Honda recommends changing oil and gear lube at least annually. The oil will loose its lubricating properties over time. If it is still under warranty, I would definitely do so.

The same goes for the gear lube with one additional reason to change it. If you live in a cold climate where it freezes, you should change the gear lube at the end of the season to check for water in the lower unit. If there is water in it and there is a hard freeze, your lower unit could freeze and crack.

Not knowing what size engine you have, a small engine takes only one or two quarts of oil and even less of gear lube. It seems like a pretty cheap way to protect the engine."

"ALWAYS! Annually or every 100

"ALWAYS! Annually or every 100 hours, whichever comes first. No if's, and's or but's."

"I should have mentioned that

"I should have mentioned that my engine is a BF150. Also, does anyone have a favorite lower unit lube? I used a product designed for Mercury engines last time (dealer recommendation, but met the Honda specs)."

"If you change lower unit oil

"If you change lower unit oil every 100 hours as recommended, most any oil that meets the Honda specs will do - SAE 90 API class GL-4 or GL-5."

Back