Logo

15 hp tohatsu stalls and wont idle

jaymiller

"Tohatsu Guru,
I have a 200

"Tohatsu Guru,
I have a 2003 4-stroke mfs15b2. it wont idle,runs rough, power is low,and will stall at any time. A little background - I cleaned the carburetor, took apart and soaked in cleaner. did not help so i did it a second time. Still no help. Installed 2 new spark plugs and gapped them, pulled fuel pump and it is strong- shoots a 4 foot stream squeezing by hand, new tank,primer bulb,hose,and motor fitting and of course good gas. Here is my question, I pulled the coil off and found the orange wire rubbed and corroded about an inch from the coil. I was able to cut wire back to clean wire and splice and heat shrink. It still runs the same. That wire was almost broken before i repaired. Pull the top plug wire and engine dies, pull the bottom and no difference but shocks the crap out of me. Could the coil be at fault or maybe the short circuit damaged something else?"

Your only firing on the top cy

Your only firing on the top cylinder so it is almost certainly something in the ignition system. You will need a service manual for the test procedures and the values.

Back