Logo

Tamd40b

bryane

"Hello,
I have a pair of tamd

"Hello,
I have a pair of tamd40b diesels in my topaz.The port engine has blown off the big rubber end plate with the two small hoses off several time,I have replaced the end plate which is about 4" diameter still the same problem.This is located behind the heat exchanger where you install the coolant.The engine both run at temp of around 150 degrees have had the oil changed and coolant changed.I have only had the vessel for a short amount of time and have used for around 5 hours.Any ideas engines have under 600 hrs?Thanks Bryan"

Did you replace it with a new?

Did you replace it with a new?
Was the center screw still left in the exchanger?
It might be a case of excessive exhaust back pressure.

"I was wondering if the O ring

"I was wondering if the O ring was the correct spec? I had a similar problem with the top pipe going into the exchanger and thermostat housing. The O rings are metric, not imperial and had a slightly larger thickness which in the end stabilized the sloppy fit up. The pressure is 7 PSI max. I would check the pressure cap spec, and also pressure test the system after the repair. I tested mine to 13 psi and no more."

"I did replace with new parts

"I did replace with new parts from Volvo,This end plate is for raw water and ends up going out the exhaust.It has no o-rings there. I pulled the info off of the Volvo sight,yes all the orings are metric.The coolant is housed inside the exchanger.the exhaust appears to have lots of water coming out while running.I did not mention that this happens when you have the engine turned up above 2500 rpm and underway.Thanks for all the responds so far.I will double check for the screw.The end plate is held in place with two big hose clamps."

"Seems you have the 'old&#

"Seems you have the 'old' tank as on below pick?
293241.jpg
"

"Yes,That is exactly what I ha

"Yes,That is exactly what I have and it blows off part#32 as I am underway.I dont know what the smaller hoses go to at the moment.But,I sure they lead to the exhaust at some point to cool the exhaust."

"Then comes my next question:

"Then comes my next question:
Do you have a Volvo muffler installed?
It looks like a Dachs dog!
One big rubber hose, might be 10" dia and stainless steel end plates secured with 2 hose-clamps to the rubber hose?"

"Not sure of the brand,hoses 4

"Not sure of the brand,hoses 4"diameter.Same thing on the other engine with no problem.Does have two clamps at engine.Then a 90 then hose to the muffler thru back of transom."

The reason I ask is that I hav

The reason I ask is that I have experienced internal parts of the Volvo muffler getting loose and blocking the exhaust. This may peak the exhaust back pressure and result might be what you experience.
Do you have a pick of the muffler?

No I just remember that it was

No I just remember that it was round and oval shaped about 2 1/2 feet long.That it a good thing to check maybe the baffle has some loose and blocking off the water flow.There is really not that much to the system from what I can tell.I will check your idea and see if the muffler rattles when I take loose.

Just curious have you checked

Just curious have you checked exhaust elbow at turbo have had them build up corrison and not let enough water escape

"No,I will check that on Satur

"No,I will check that on Saturday along with the muffler from the idea that Morten gave.Thank you and Morten for the ideas.I'll keep you posted. I have the vessel out of the water now for complete awlgrip paint job.Thanks again, Bryan"

Do you have any 40b parts? I

Do you have any 40b parts? I am looking to cxhange out tmd40b to a tamd40b. I need the oil cooler and the piping. I can give you the part numbers if you need them

"Okay I got a delima. I have

"Okay I got a delima. I have a 28ft cruiser with Volvo's in it. First one is a TAMD40B(165hp)and is in good working condition. The second unit is a TMD40B (120hp) and is also working just fine. I have most everything I need to bring the TMD40B up to a TAMD40B. The only thing I am missing is the Pipe(845357)from the water pump to the oil cooler(838969)and the cooler itself.
I have been looking for them, but can not seem to find.

The question is...... Can I use my existing Pipe(838971) and Oil Cooler(838968)? I am not sure if the tube or oil cooler intake are smaller

Any ideas}"

"Found your parts at [url=""]w

"Found your parts at www.marinepartsexpress.com. Call them to see what the price is on the 838969.

Product Details
Part found.
RPL, if it appears in the description, means replaced by.
If you see an RPL, please change to that part number.

Part Number: 845357
Description: COOLANT PIPE (Volvo Penta)
Price: $ 47.08
Retail Price: $ 51.17
Weight: 0.26
Part Number: 838969
Description: RPL 3581712 (Volvo Penta)
Price: $ 0.00
Retail Price: $ 0.00
Weight: 11.4"

"Hello Everyone,
Still workin

"Hello Everyone,
Still working on my topaz.I have stripped bottom paint off with a razor scraper down to the orig.gelcoat,looks like the orig painter forgot to sand the bottom(bless his soul I made out like a bandit on this)what is the best bottom paint for a boat that is used 3-5 times a month and sitting in brackish water."

Re: Just curious have you checked

Dink,
That was exactly what was wrong, I had new stainless elbows made and that corrected the problem. I did see the rust and corrosion when I removed them and thought I will not replace with the product they were made of. Just got back in water November 2013.
Thanks again

Back