Logo

Tohatsu 90 TLDI RPM problem

getbent

"Hello, and I am looking for h

"Hello, and I am looking for help from the Guru as I signed up seeking his expertise. I just got this boat, and the motor has 7-8hrs (still in the break in period!) I noticed during the intitial 3hrs I would get a quick beep under 3000rpms. I followed the procedure every step on every hour. When the motor made the beep noise (like it does when you turn the key on) I noticed the boat stall for a quick second. I fished it 3 days without to big of a deal, BUT the thrid timeat the end of the day it would not get on plane. It would only due 2000rpms with throttle all the way forward. after 20min it finally got to 4000-4500rpm running rough. It had the quick beep, but no lights on the tach and overboard was cool to the touch. next day i look at the fuel bowl and saw the fuel off color. replaced the plugs, and drained the fuel, added Sea Foam added new fuel different station. it ran bad for 20min or so at 2000rpm then gets up to 4000 and short burts to 5000 but right back to 4000 ra it like an hour hoping it would get better. no it didnt still the quick beep no lights- decided to try and fish real quick and then it would not get past 2000rpms again it finally jumps up to 3500-4000rpm- I am a mechanic in the USCG I know what a bad motor sounds like it isnt mechanical as it is electrical. I feel the motor is in tact and no harm done- it just isnt combusting right or it is the ECU or TPS. I saw Guru you mentioned you can reset the TPS. I am going to the Border PAtrol academy 14Sept for 4 months and am doing USCG drills till Sept10. My wife is going to take it to a different dealer by my house to see if he will work on it by ThursdaY Sept. 10 if he doesnt I would like to know how to redo the TPS. Thank you for any help. Sorry for the despiration, but if I get through the academy I will be 4hrs away from the water and wont be able to use my boat so i am trying to use my new boat as much as possible (2 days) till I have to go. Nice to meet yall and Thanks for the HELP!!!"

"Your battery is probably too

"Your battery is probably too small and the TPS procedure is:

With the throttle in the fully closed position adjust the cables or wires in order to bring the advancer arm into contact with the fully closed stopper position. Then move the throttle several times to confirm that the arm is seated snugly against the fully closed stopper.

Perform the following with the throttle in the fully closed position:
Set the key switch to the on position. Disconnect the kill switch lanyard within one second after the beep stops sounding.
Wait about 5 to 10 seconds and pull the red knob on the stop switch for about .5 seconds, then release the switch.
Wait another 5 to 10 seconds, again pull the red knob for about .5 seconds, then release the switch.
If you hear three short beeps in about 5 seconds you did it correctly. If you don't hear the beeps you goofed up or the engine needs to go into a dealer to find out whats wrong.....The single most common problem with these things is the battery choice. You need a 1000 CCA battery to energise the ignition system."

"Hey Guru THANK YOU!!! for the

"Hey Guru THANK YOU!!! for the help. Took it to a dealer and they said the same thing about the battery. The weird thing is the dealer I bought the boat from uses the same battery (Gel type- yellow top from Car Quest-Marine) on all their boats and never had the problem??? I trust them and dont think they are trying to cheat me. They spent at least 3 hours on the phone with me and one time on one of the guy's off time at night. Anyway I hope that is it, I had them due the 10hr service since they rushed the trouble shoot for me. I know I spent a lot on a simple service, but they really helped me out, and I figured it was the least i could do, plus..... I dont have to do it myself in the short amount of time i have left before i leave. i will post up all the details on the battery and if it WAS the problem. Thank you very much for the help!!! I really appreciate it, and I am glad Tohatsu has you on their side."

""I am glad Tohatsu has yo

""I am glad Tohatsu has you on their side."

Tohatsu isn't sure though
"

The battery swap did not work.

The battery swap did not work. The tech doesn't know what to do. I am getting pissed $9000 motor and it doesn't work and no one knows how to fix it.

I would contact Tohatsu at 972

I would contact Tohatsu at 972-323-6003 and ask them to get involved. The problem could be as simple as a loose wire or you may have the misfortune to have your engine at the dumbest outboard mechanic on the planet. Basically the engine needs to have someone troubleshoot it. Tohatsu will be happy to work with the authorized dealer to determine the problem and then repair it....You might have the dealer test your fuel for water before they do anything else.

Re: Tohatsu 90 RPM problem

i bought a 1997 17 ft sundance boat with a 2 cycle 90 hp tahatsu motor, boat ran great until i put gas in it, now wont run over 2900 rpms, sometimes it will plane and run great, my mechanic cleaned the carbs but still does the same thing. i added dry gas but still does the same thing. should i run it near empty and get gas someplace else. how can i get rid of bad gas any other way.

You need to diagnose the problem. Dry gas is no solution, and only makes the E-10 problems worse. If you do diagnose poor gas, it's possible that an older car or truck may be able to ingest it without problem.

Back