Logo

81 Overheat

petesim

"After a great weekend I was f

"After a great weekend I was flushing my 8.1 and to my horror it started to overheat while running on the hose. (around 200f)Normally it will idle happily indefinitely while I climb down onto the ground and grease the gimbal bearing etc.Suspecting the Raw Water Pump Impellor, I promptly ordered a new one. When I went to fit, I found the impellor in good condition but the entire suction side completely full of mud. It appears that while I was reversing the trailer down the ramp and my wife was at the helm she inadvertently drifted over onto a mudbank and started dredging the channel out in the creek. I have pulled the end caps off the heat exchanger and flushed, as well as the power steering cooler. I have disconnected the hoses where they enter the exhaust manifolds and appear to have good flow. I have reassembled and fitted the new impellor anyway as it was due and run it up again. Initially the temp started to head up again (making me sick in the guts)but then it started to drop and levelled out at normal. I'm hoping all is well but thought it worth throwing out to you guys to see if you thought I should check anything else.Regards ...Simmo."

Back