Logo

Canbt get AQ130d to start and idle

medic_one

"History: AQ130D with 280 driv

"History: AQ130D with 280 drive. Have had easy starting and idling in past. Took out points, replaced with Pertronix elec. ignition with Flamethrower coil. Removed the resistor block. New spark plugs. New wires. Re-timed to 8deg @ 900rpm with advance to 27deg @ 3000rpm. per manual. Compression is 150psi across all four cyliders. Burning some oil evidenced by black carbon build up on new plugs. When running (with much patients) idles okay. At higher revs like 3000rpm getting white steam like cloud out of outdrive exhaust along with oily water from raw water discharge.

So when I try to start her up I give one or two throttle pumps. I can see the acceleration pumps fire a squirt into the carb. The motor fires pretty quickly then runs like so: "Brum..Brum..Brum..Brum..Brum...Brum.....Brum.....Brum........Brum.......stall". Another pump of the throttle equals same result. Advancing throttle during "Brum...Brum" results in immediate stall. Seems like once it burns through the initial squirt of gas that's it. Starving?

I'm looking for a direction to troubleshoot. Sound like a fuel problem or ignition problem? Could I have a fuel pump issue? How can I check the whole fuel line system?

Thanks -Zach"

"Regarding the oily water, it

"Regarding the oily water, it seems to me that you could have either a blown head gasket or a leaky oil cooler.

Regarding the engine not idling/accelerating, I would start adjusting the idle mixture on each carb, then synchronizing both carbs, and then adjusting the ignition timing. Then, I would try again and see if the symptoms have disappeared."

Is there a way I check for eit

Is there a way I check for either the head gasket or the oil cooler? I'm going to do a fuel pump test when I get a chance.

Thanks

"You can remove the inlet and

"You can remove the inlet and outlet raw water pipes from the cooler, link them temporarily with a garden hose, then run the engine for awhile. If you see oil in the oil cooler water area, you know the cooler is leaky."

Back