Logo

Alarm at start up

kmitt

"I have a 2000 Chris Craft 232

"I have a 2000 Chris Craft 232 Sport Deck with a 5.7L GS Volvo Penta engine. Normally, the "beeping" start up alarm sounds only for a few seconds while starting. Today, the beeping alarm continued throughout all phases of operation. Engine temp, oil, speed were all normal and performance was normal. Any ideas? Is this alarm related to the warning (over rev, over temp, etc) buzzer type alarm? Is it possible to disconnect the starting alarm without problems?

Cheers"

I've not experienced this

I've not experienced this with my Volvo but have with the Mercruser I use to have and on outboards. Usually if one of the "senders" (sensors that activate the alarm) is bad the thing beeps and beeps. You have to figure out which one. I'm not sure about Volvo but my GUESS is they are all similar in that the sender grounds out--completes the connection--and thus activates the alarm. You need to get a shop manual to trouble shoot.

"Khris,

There is a separate

"Khris,

There is a separate oil pressure sender usually located on the side of the engine block by the oil filter. This sensor sends the low OP signal to the alarm circuit and is isolated from the OP gauge sender located by the distributor. In my experience it often fails due to dirt or grit and sends a false signal to the alarm circuit thinking there is low OP."

Back