Logo

Calcium Buildup on outdrive

swamprat

"The guy that surveyed my new

"The guy that surveyed my new to me boat told me that there was execcessive calcium buildup on the outdrive.

I think the boat was kept somewhere around Toronto, Ontario but I am not sure.

To the best of my knowledge the boat was slipped in freshwater.

I would like to know how to get rid of this stuff and prevent it from happening again."

In the past I used CLR (Ca

In the past I used CLR (Calcium Lime Rust) sparingly to remove hard water build up. Now that I use a drive shower to cool the drive it is no longer a problem. When the drive gets hot the water evaporates on the drive leaving mineral deposits behind.

I'll try vinegar first mai

I'll try vinegar first mainly because it isn't as nasty as CLR. But if that doesn't work then it will be CLR and if that doesn't work then it will be Muriatic Acid.

Wear rubber gloves and use a s

Wear rubber gloves and use a stiff long handled plastic brush. Dilute muriatic acid by 50% water; dangerous acid!

"yes be carefull with the acid

"yes be carefull with the acid as guy said im not even sure id go that route i know your gonna laugh but try some PB BLASTER on a small area and let it set 4to5 min and see what ya think thats if your talking about the outdrive only blaster might stain the fiberglass
2_cents.gif
"

We use muriatic acid to etch g

We use muriatic acid to etch galvanized metal before painting and only use a 10-1 water to acid solution. I sure wouldn`t use anything stronger on my outdrive. I think clr is a lot safer to use .

"I use muratic acid quite ofte

"I use muratic acid quite often at work to delime the inside of pressure washer heating coils. I mix it about 50-50 with water.
I also use it to get the gunk off the hull of my boat. I mix it much stronger to clean the boat. In fact I've put it on straight with a paint brush and have a garden hose in the other hand. Leave it on for 5 seconds and hose it off. My gell coat has never lost its shine.
I would not hesitate to use it full strength on the out drive and prop and then rinse it off with the hose. No scrubbing involved.
I've tried CLR on stuff around the house, like they show on TV, and I've never had much luck with it. I'll never buy it again.

Wrench"

"to prevent it bill you will h

"to prevent it bill you will have to install a cooling kit, a halo of water around the upper bearing. there are many on the market."

This is my first I/O and my fi

This is my first I/O and my first cruiser. Both of my other boats were outboards. This will be a learning experience for me. Biggest horses I have ever run (on the water) were 40 and 25 both were Johnsons.}

"I've tried CLR on stuff a

"I've tried CLR on stuff around the house, like they show on TV, and I've never had much luck with it. I'll never buy it again.

<font size=""+1"">I too have tried CLR around the house with the same results, but that was a long time ago.
In the kettle and iron I use a strong solution of baking soda and water and heat it up. </font>"

I think I would inspect all th

I think I would inspect all the annodes and grounding wires. Also make sure the mercathode is working if equipped.

Back