Logo

What to do after water in fuel

kkerns

"Looking for some advice. I h

"Looking for some advice. I have a Yamaha F225C outboard and I got water into my fuel tank somehow. The engine started sputtering and I realized it was dying and turned it off. Checked fuel/water separator, full of water - trace fuel. Checked separator bowl on engine -same thing, a bit more fuel. Cleaned out separator filter and bowl on engine, flushed through until only fuel coming out of tank. Filled separator filter, and one on engine with clean fuel. Got it restarted after many many tries by giving full throttle. It started, ran rough for a few minutes and then started running fine -but has a definite 'ticking' sound going on. I am on an island about hours boat ride from marine and mechanics. Don't want to mess up engine and wonder if it is safe to boat with it - stopping every once in a while to check fuel filter/separator. I read something about VST, but not sure where or if easy to check for water. I can get mechanic to boat tomorrow if I can make it back to marina with no harm - any suggestions?"

Back