Logo

Duoprop ratios 195 vs 23

hystat

Outstanding Contributor
"Does anyone have a listing of

"Does anyone have a listing of what packages used the two different DP ratios on the AQ series drives?

I picked up a 2.3 ratio DP lower for my AQ180, but now I'm thinking the 1.95 would be more correct for all V8's even though my 180hp V8 is more like a V6 in power.
Wondering if the difference is correctable with propping.
Maybe I should sell the 2.3 or try to trade for a 1.95.
My original AQ200 drive is 1.59:1 ratio... even lower than the typical 1.61 of the later SP's, so I suspect the 2.3 would end up really being 2.1 or so with the mix of 200 upper and DP lower.

Ran a 19P on my SP lower. light, fast boat with top end low 50's.
"

"We can't compare ratios b

"We can't compare ratios between Single Prop drives and DP's. It just does not equate.

The 2.30:1 over-all ratio is typically for the 4 cylinder gasoline engines.
The 1.95:1 ratio is typically for the SB V-8 gasoline engines (and some 4.3L's in smaller hulls).

Typically, we cannot prop to accommodate for an incorrect ratio..... sp or dp! There is no substitute for a correct ratio!

In rare cases the size/style of the hull can make a difference as to which ratio may work.... but all-in-all, it is best to stay with what Volvo recommends, IMO.

You have nothing to loose if you were to try this but your time for "re-shimming" the vertical shaft bearing race and a few sets of "B" series props to try!
(be sure to get the shimming correct.... this is a NEG preload, not POS)

Also, the DP does not use the same engine oil viscosity as does the Single Prop drive. The DP requires a GL-4 or 5.

."

"with the 1.95 used for V6&#39

"with the 1.95 used for V6's in smaller hulls then I will look for 1.95, because I have 180hp in a 17.5' boat - very V6esque.
Rather than trial and error, I'll try to copy a setup that works.
Thanks for the info and the reminder about lube and shimming.

I picked these two 280DP drives up cheap and should be able to barter them for the right thing. "

"awesome chart!
so yep, I nee

"awesome chart!
so yep, I need 1.95 and prolly B7 props... maybe even B8's so these lowers are not going to work for me. not even close.
Thanks guys."

Back