Logo

BF100 reoccuring issues

jusrowe

"So I got this engine with a b

"So I got this engine with a boat 2 months ago. It started and ran for a bit, then stopped and wouldn't start, had it serviced and the guy said bad gas, and gunked carb. fixed that. it ran fine for 6 weeks. Then I ran it for an extended period of time for a long trip, seemed to have run out of oil and fouled plugs. it stopped wouldn't start. replaced plugs (hard to find!) added oil, and ran fine for a few uses. Had it checked out for blown gaskets or warped head and its fine.
Now, again, it started, then stopped after 5 min, will not start. I drained the carb plug and fuel came out.

Now what, clean carb again? if so how do I do it? Why would it be gunked again? is there something else?

Thanks"

"I removed and checked out the

"I removed and checked out the carb today, it looked fine. the plugs were maybe A little too dirty for new, but they were ok. My buddy was able to get it started after several pulls at 1/2 choke. It used to start on the first pull. How do I make it start on the first pull again?"

I would first give it a compre

I would first give it a compression test. They really hate to run out of oil. Maybe check the valve clearances and condition of the top lobes of the cam. Low oil pressure can eat them down pretty quick. I have a parts motor if you can't find good stuff on this site.

"I just had it looked at by a

"I just had it looked at by a Honda Marine guy. Here's the basic report:
Problem is that the
exciter coil has intermittent short. under the flywheel.
dont know why??
3hrs x $90/hr+$82 part to fix

starter cord. needs replaced, no big deal..
BUT;
it might be an upstream problem like
power pack or trigger box but won't know until the first thing is fixed and if this is the prob. this part is not available new...

any advice? is it hard to replace that first part? maybe I can do it and then test for second thing??

but what is next to break??"

First find a new TECH

he needs to check each component before CDI box and after!!

I can do these test in 30 mins!!!

That tech (honda guy) says that he has a few there with the same problem, another guy at a honda dealer says he hasn't heard of that part failing ever, in 30 years!!!

Back