Logo

What engines will mate with 280 outdrive

medic_one

I am wondering if there is a d

I am wondering if there is a document/chart floating around the web that shows what engines will work with a 280 outdrive. I have a 280 that works well but the AQ130d is having some issues. Just pondering an engine change and wondering what my options are?
Thanks

All transmissions are of the s

All transmissions are of the same ratio.
The lower unit ratio changes with engine size/type.
The transom shield is specific to the exhaust down tube or Y pipe (single or double exhaust reliefs). You have a single relief!

Which engine do you wish to install?

"I haven't chosen an engin

"I haven't chosen an engine to install. In fact I don't know if my current issues are that drastic. I still have troubleshooting to do. However, I see many different engines available here and there (CL & eBay) and I just wondered which were candidates for my 280 setup? Will all the 4 cylinder AQ series bolt right on? What about Chevy or Ford blocks? What about a Volvo 3.0GL? I know someone who has a low hour 3.0GL.

Thanks"

"realistically, you are stuck

"realistically, you are stuck with the Volvo B20 based motors due to the specific transom shield Ric mentioned.
Only practical way to get one of those American powerplants in your boat is to buy a boat with one and strip it and swap EVERYTHING over to your hull.

Having a 3.0 chevy isn't that grand of a dream really. "

"The OHC 4 is of the AQ series

"The OHC 4 is of the AQ series family. And BTW, a great little engine! This should be a candidate for your drive with a few small changes.

You can do the 4.3L, 5.0L or 5.7L by using the AQ 200D 3" Y pipe and 3" exhaust manifolds along with the 1.61:1 lower unit (or a duo prop lower).

The reason for my OHC 4 suggestion is to get away from the older push rod engine. And yes, they can be made to bolt up!
The lower unit ratio is even the same.
The exhast down tube would be changed, however!

."

Back