Logo

Honda 75HP outboard overheating again

mcbradford

"I have a 2000 Honda BF75. I

"I have a 2000 Honda BF75. I had the engine serviced at the beginning of the season. One day on the water would not idle up. Took it for service, water pump shot - replaced. Took it out another few times, same thing again - back to shop. Water pump impeller gone and housing gone. Replaced again. Yesterday - ran the boat at 4000 rpm for about 4 hours - (one end of the lake to other and back). Once we got back the kids wanted to tube, so now we are running it at WOT. Did this for about an hour, then would not idle up. Idled back to the dock. Turned it off and let it sit for about an hour. On the dock - restarted it - everything fine. I did not take it back out or let it idle for a while - needed to get back home. BTW - steady stream of water from indicator. Questions (1) From what I can tell the indicator is from a T before it enters the heat exchange - so if the heat exchange area was clogged up, I would still get flow from the indicator - correct? (2) Should I flush the engine? (We never ran it in less than 30' feet of good clean lake water). Is there a chance it just got warm from being at WOT and doing turns/varying RPMs / etc? (3) Anyone ever replaced impellers/housing back-to-back (4) If the heat exchanger was clogged, could this cause impeller/housing damage - even if water streaming out of the indicator? (5) Anyone know the thread diameter for the flush - is there another way to flush without the HONDA OEM?

Thanks for your thoughts"

"If the thermostat were failed

"If the thermostat were failed in the closed position, you would still get plenty of cool water through the tell-tale stream, but little cooling water through the cylinders and head.

Also, if a left-over water pump vane had broken off and lodged upstream, it could be a cause of problem."

Back