Logo

EthanolWater treatment

cjlopez4

"Just bought a used boat, it&#

"Just bought a used boat, it's been sitting since 2007. I emptied the tank of all the used old fuel. How should I proceed forward with new fuel and treating ethanol/water in the tank with new fuel? Is there a preferred product recommended? Star Tron, Seafoam, Sentry...??

Thanks."

"Ces,
Assume you have a buil

"Ces,
Assume you have a built in aluminum tank. If it is fiberglass ethanol will eat through it. Try to locate a service station which sells non ethanol gas. There are two in the Panama City, Fl. area. Next keep your tank full when not in use, this will help to avoid condensation in the tank. Recommend a fuel filter with a settlement bowl they are more expensive but you can see and drain off contaminates such as water and trash that ethanol seem to produce. Another suggestion, check to be sure that your fuel line is compatible with ethanol gas if not ethanol will dissolve the fuel line and and clog up your filter and possibly the carburetors. Carry a spare fuel filter and wrench"

"Beware of some fuel additives

"Beware of some fuel additives. I tested Star Tron,poured a few ounces into a glass jar of water. I noticed the additive never mixed with the water only floated on surface. When I doused paper towel and lit it, it did not burn."

"Ces,
The fuel filter/water s

"Ces,
The fuel filter/water separator with a see-thru bowl I bought is a made by RACOR. Feel sure there are other manufactures.
Thanks for the info on Star Tron."

"Marina recommended a product

"Marina recommended a product called "Marine Sta-Bil". There was an article in one of the magazines comparing major ethanol treatment products. Top two with price in mind, Star-Tron (Most economical) and Marine Sta-Bil (less economical most preferred)"

"I use Gas-Shok. I had major p

"I use Gas-Shok. I had major problems from bad fuel, filters plugged, injectors plugged. The stuff worked cleaned everything up. google Gas-Shok it is good stuff. If you want more testimony jet me off an e-mail. [email protected]"

"the Walmart fuel/water sepera

"the Walmart fuel/water seperator($27) works real well on my boat and I just unscrew the filter canister every month or so, dump it out and screw it back on, then put on a new one(Walmart $7) about once a year. Stabil Marine(Walmart $20/quart) has worked very well for me, also. I also recommend draining carbs a couple of times per year just to be sure they're very clean."

Back