Logo

Tach Question

wblazer

Regular Contributor
"Hi Guys,
Finally got my 1986

"Hi Guys,
Finally got my 1986 Four Winns 4.3 back running.
After starter and exhaust tube melt down. Now the tach does not work. The needle is peged full when engine is shut down.
And advances when started but gives false readings.I checked with my portable tach unit and engines is running to specs.I have two questions. Should I disconnect the existing tach untill I install a replacment?
And will I be able to purchase one that will bolt up with no alterations? Thanks for your help."

"Guy,
One question, what colo

"Guy,
One question, what color is the tach wire I want to remove from the coil?"

Hi
I have a Maxim SR1800 with

Hi
I have a Maxim SR1800 with Merc 3.0 carb and alpha one.

My Tach quit working and I would like to see if it something simple. Are there any specific things I can check such as connections etc? Where does the Tach connect to the engine is there a chance a wire came undone or something. Is there a common issue that usually causes this?

THanks so much!

"Bill:

Clean the gray wire

"Bill:

Clean the gray wire on the negative side of the coil. Look at the back of the tach for loose, corroded or broken wires. Exercise each switch on the back of the tach."

"Guys,

Tried removing one w

"Guys,

Tried removing one wire at a time from the coil and turned key. always had a jump of the tach needle. Wire colors have been changed by old owner.I have two wires on each of the coil terminals. Please advise, thanks."

Walt:

You want the negative

Walt:

You want the negative side of the coil. Two gray wires; one goes to the spark amplifier and the other goes to pin #2 on the big engine plug. From there it goes to the back of the coil to the "sender" connection.

"Guy,

Thanks,I will go back

"Guy,

Thanks,I will go back tomorrow and do as you suggested There are really nice gauge sets on the site you told me about.

Walt"

"Hello Team,
I have a bayline

"Hello Team,
I have a bayliner capri with Mercruiser MCM 3L engine. The tacho froze at 1000 rpm and wouldn't move so I took it out and had it serviced.
Still no joy so I need to check the sender unit.
Can I have some advice on where to go next please?"

"It is customary to start a ne

"It is customary to start a new posting for your issue.

There is no sender; the tach gets its signal from the negative side of the coil. Clean the wire connections on both ends. W/both ends disconnected use an ohmmeter to check for continuity on the wire. If there is continuity then you need a new tach.

Check www.greatlakesskipper.com for a tach or complete set of gauges."

Trust Guy make sure all connec

Trust Guy make sure all connections are clean and tight. he saved me some major money and time with his knowlage

"Thanks for the comments. How

"Thanks for the comments. However, if you line up all the regular contributors to this site and label them by their overall abilities and experience; my label will say "Dummer than a rock; gets lucky now and then."
uhoh.gif
"

thanks for the advice unfortun

thanks for the advice unfortunately I haven't had time to check this point yet but should get a chance this week.

Thanks once again and will keep you posted of progress. sorry if i broke some protocol with the message board blame it on being a first timer!

"Dan:

Separate postings pre

"Dan:

Separate postings prevents overlaps of different problems. Many times a problem doesn't get solved until a multitude of posts are made. I personally have to reread many posts from the beginning to come up w/other solutions. Good luck.
rain.gif
"

"Hi Guy,

Thanks for your he

"Hi Guy,

Thanks for your help I have found that the wiring harness is ok, which is a blessing but now need a new tacho!
I have sent it to a instrument repair shop but they say the needle movement mechanism has failed which they didn't pick up on last time.
I have looked on the GLSkipper site but they do not have the correct tacho. Apparently Faria makes exclusive lines for bayliner...
I am trying to source one now. The NZ dealers say there is a 3 month wait for their next order from the states! I am trawling through the internet looking for a US dealer that will send me one.
Anyway thanks once again for your advice."

Back