Logo

2000 Honda 90 heating again

startedinbermuda

Contributing Member
"I had a post in here a while

"I had a post in here a while back about my 90 that overheats when I'm out and run it open for about 1-2 minutes. The heat alarm goes on etc. I pull back on throttle and alarm goes off and I can keep on going but not wide open. I have already cleaned the poppit, replaced the thermostat, and replaced the heat sensor. It ran OK after that for one outing but it did it again last Sunday. Can anyone shed any more light or do you think this baby has bigger problems than what I have already repaired. I will admit I haven't changed the oil or filter in some time because it always looks so clean but wonder if loss of viscosity can make it run just that extra hot to cause my problem. Any opinions for me out there PLEASE.
George"

"Boy I feel your pain! I had

"Boy I feel your pain! I had a 2000 Honda 90 that did the same thing. After replacing all the normal stuff, poppit, water pump, temp sensor, therostat,a and water jacket cover. I and a friend pulled the head, and changed the head gasket, and had the head milled.

Apparently it was leaking exhaust gas into the water according to the shop that did the head. Well it worked good for one season and started back up with the overheat.

By then I was fed up and bought a new Honda 150. I sold the engine to an independent marine repair shop that could not duplicate the problem and sold it, with a warranty. And the new owner has reportedly had no problems.

I hope you find the problem and if so please post here so we can find out what it was."

"I forgot to mention, the deal

"I forgot to mention, the dealer said that he had seen occasions of the water tube (that goes from the water pump to the power head) corroding and then leaking. With the gearcase removed, look at the tube all the way up and see if you see anything.

In my case it was not corroded. DANG!"

"Seems to be a common problem

"Seems to be a common problem as I too have this problem on my 2000 90hp. I thought it was due to a worm impeller and had that changed out for $300. Took the boat out shortly afterwards and I can run at 5300 RPM all day long but 1 minute of WOT and the overheat alarm/check engine lights come on. I never had a problem with any of my other Merc's, Johnson, or Evinrude but Honda is supposed to be top notch and this is the crap we get.

And my water tube was not corroded so who knows what the problem is. I too am getting fed up with this and will most likely sell the boat since I got a good deal on it."

Back