Logo

DT140 not going into reverse

bkcarroll

"I have a 1986 Suzuki DT140 th

"I have a 1986 Suzuki DT140 that isn't going into reverse as it should. Forward works as it should. I move the throttle forward an inch or so, there's a short grind, and then it slips into gear at an idle speed.

However, when I try to go into reverse, I have to pull the throttle 3/4 of the way back before anything happens. (and it is hard to pull back!) At this point the throttle quickly revs up, the gears start grinding, and the prop starts turning.

What typically causes this problem?

Thanks!
Brian"

"I also should have mentioned

"I also should have mentioned that even after the prop starts turning, the gears continues to grind and it sounds like the motor never really gets "in gear"."

"I have a lower unit for sale

"I have a lower unit for sale
"

"Sounds like your shims are wo

"Sounds like your shims are worn out and not pushing the clutch dog in complete contact with the reverse gear, drain lower unit check for any signs of water. The lower unit gear oil will be milky white or light brown due to rust and run out real fast. I have seen this before because if water gets in and lays around on any part at all especially when the motor is at home that is all it takes. You use forward gear all of the time not reverse.Even though both are lubricated by the same oil one sits and the other spins hence the term you use it or lose it."

I think the guys are right unl

I think the guys are right unless you just removed and replaced the LU and got the shift shaft out of adjustment but I doubt that is the case.

"or the idle speeds set to hig

"or the idle speeds set to high/shifter linkage worn due to age/use,fishing line on prop shaft,or old age."

Back