Logo

Mercruiser starts cuts in amp out amp dies amp will restart

ted_4420

"I have replaced the ignition

"I have replaced the ignition coil and rebuilt the carb. The engine starts better and runs strong until it sounds like the ign. is turned on and off a few times and then dies. The owner told me that the eng. died at the lake while he was towing someone back to shore. He said the alarm sounded when he started the moter at his home before he left for the lake and he put tape over it so he didn’t have to hear it. I noticed that on the 5.7 wiring diagram that there are two sensors and a reservoir that have a yellow wire a tan/ blu. and a blk.wire going to the ignition module. The reservoir for the drive oil was empty. The reservoir was filled. Can someone tell me where the sensors that are attacked to the module are and how I can check this system out? Is this an engine shut down system? The engine has a mechanical fuel pump and I have replaced the fuel filter. I have also rebuilt the carb. I can’t fine a serial number on the motor above the started Thanks, I need help, Ted"

What year 5.7? It has a temp.

What year 5.7? It has a temp. switch and gauge sender and oil pressure switch and sender. These two switches along w/the OD oil reservior switch can set off the alarm only.

Look under the distributor rotor for the optic sensor if it has electronic ignition. If it is rusted then it could be the problem. It has fine wires that corrode and cause ignition failure.

"It is a 1996 or 1997 Capri 20

"It is a 1996 or 1997 Capri 2050 SS. When the alarm goes off can it shut down the motor. I see on the wiring diagram that there are wires that go to the electronic module from the sensors? Thanks, Ted"

"Ted:

As I understand it, i

"Ted:

As I understand it, if the ECU detects a problem via the alarm circuit it will reduce the engine's RPMs to allow "limp mode" operation. I'm not sure if it will shut it down completely. Someone w/more knowledge about this circuit should jump in on this problem."

Back