Logo

1979 MCM170470 coil voltage

Your ignition needs 8 to 9 vol

Your ignition needs 8 to 9 volts. Resistor wires can lose their value and drop more voltage.

"Thanks, PS. I suspected that

"Thanks, PS. I suspected that might have happened. How much of the coil+ wire contains the resistor? Ie, how far back do I have to go to cut out the old resistor and install a new one? Can I use a generic one for car/trucks?
Believe I read somewhere that it was a 2 ohm. ?Thanks for your help. JW in Dixie"

"almost 3 feet, it is a silver

"almost 3 feet, it is a silver looking inner core compaired to copper like all other wiring.

It should go back in the harness towards the altinator tie in to more than one other purple ( or what ever color yours is) wires and fold back towards the coil."

Have looked on this site host

Have looked on this site host and Sierra for a replacement resistor wire with no luck. I have owned cars that used one but can't find them either. Are they available anywhere?

Can I substitute a 2 ohm metal-clad 50 watt resistor? Tnx. JW

Look above under engine parts

Look above under engine parts and insert "resistor" on the right side. It shows a coil resistor but does not list the ohms. Call them.

You can also check w/a NAPA parts store.

"Okay, so I cut the original w

"Okay, so I cut the original wire res out and installed a new ceramic one made by BWD, part # RU6, 1.6 ohms. This is listed for gangs of old Chryslers and GM cars. $5. Now the coil voltage reads 6.5 when the motor is at operating temp. Runs like a new one so maybe, finally it's fixed. Only took all Summer, dang it!
Tnx for the help, guys. JW in Dixie"

Warren:

Congrats. on the fi

Warren:

Congrats. on the fix; carry a spare since they are known to fail at will.

Back