Logo

Cruising Revolutions for Buick 155 HP 225 Cubic Inch V6

the_tassie_devil

Regular Contributor
"G'day all,

Would reall

"G'day all,

Would really appreciate it if someone could please advise me of the normal Engine Revolutions when cruising at normal speed with the above engine.

It is Stringer Mounted in a Chris-Craft Gull-Wing Seasport 16 and I am having the Camshaft reconditioned and seeing as I haven't had it in the water yet, I am not sure of the recommended Cruising Range, Top Speed, etc.

What Top Speed should I expect, and what should the Cruising Speed be? In Salt Water, with minimal slop.

Thanks,

Bruce."

"year? usually wide open throt

"year? usually wide open throttle is what you must be at, what your cruise at is up to you usually is 2/3 of max rpm called wot.

So without the year to look it up in my seloc manual, you can buy one also #3400, i would think 4200-4600 rpms at wot. i strongly recommend you buy a manual.

You get the wot with the proper prop. speed is unimportant, you get proper wot no more, and run the boat say at 3000 rpm you should get better then 30 mph."

"G'day chiefalen,

Thank

"G'day chiefalen,

Thanks for your prompt reply.

Boy, it is that long since I have been on the water in a power boat, that I have forgotten the terms. Most of my past 40 years have been in Centre-board yachts, and one relies on the wind, all the time. Now I want to settle down to a mode of transport that isn't as dependable on the wind.

So, the actual question should be, "What is WOT Revolutions for a 155 HP 225 Cubic Inch Buick V6 (Nail-Head)in my 1972/3 Gull Wing Chris-Craft. (I intend to run it this way a lot of the time)

The only Manual I could find so far is the Clymer OMC Stern Drive Shop Manual 1964 - '86. This Manual covers the rebuilding of what I wanted to know, but not the intricacies of the Owners Manual, which I will find one day.

Thanks,

Bruce."

"My 225 Buick runs at 4100 RPM

"My 225 Buick runs at 4100 RPM, at 33 MPH. 20 foot ,2750 pound boat. 16 by 18 pitch prop.
Your boat should run at least 45 to 50 MPH.It also depends on the pitch of your prop. The 18 pitch seems to work well on my Boat.

Scott"

"G'day Scott,

I am runn

"G'day Scott,

I am running a 14" x 18" Pitch prop, but I don't think I am going to get much over 35 Knots.

But, will wait and see, and hopefully I can be surprised.

Thanks,

Bruce."

"ok not listed wot for anythin

"ok not listed wot for anything before 1980, in my seloc #3400 manual. Gives everything else. i would think close to 4200 rpm would be wot, and that is the only thing that matters you must achive that or close so you don't lug the motor then you can cruise at any speed you wish normally 2/3 of wot.

Any other tips on the drive or tilt just ask would be my great pleasure to assist in any small way i can.

Oh bye the way i have 2 drive shafts for that year motor just sitting in my basement, if your shaft splines ever go i would be open to sending you one all i would need is shipping. It is the shaft that goes into the coupler with the ball gear on it, with the bearings and shims complete.

idle also should be between 550-600, that is in the water in gear warm motor."

Back