Logo

Cam replacement on AQ131 do I really need special tool #9995021

barryf

"From my previous post, you ma

"From my previous post, you may have read that I have very low compression, won't start, and based on good wet compression numbers, I need new rings on my AQ131. Well, in shopping around I have found a used B230 engine / block / head for only $300, so I'm just going to replace the engine instead of repairing the old corroded block. Since my #4 exhaust port on the head has some wear (from leaking exhaust manifold) I figure I will use the newer auto head and just swap the cams - as many posts here mention.

My question is about the procedure outlined in the Clymer manual. They say to remove the center bearing cap first, and install this Volvo tool #9995021 in its place. Then remove the rest of the bearing caps, and lastly remove the tool. Since I haven't seen any other posts on this board describing the tool, can I assume it's okay to just back off the bearing cap nuts slowly and evenly so that one end doesn't try to spring up?

BTW - I've had great luck following everyone's advice on removing the top end of my AQ275 OD, so once I find an engine hoist I'm ready to pull the retaining ring and see if she comes loose.

Thanks, Barry."

"Barry, I have removed those c

"Barry, I have removed those cams in the past without the special holding tool in the very way you described, and never had any problems. Additionally, you can always turn the cam to relieve or increase pressure in one area as required. You'll see what I mean when you are in the midst of the operation."

Back