Logo

2002 90HP Honda

mbz

"Unit sat for over 18 months,

"Unit sat for over 18 months, so I guess I'm lucky it actually starts and runs. Only problem is hesitation, getting up on plane. I seem to remember on old post that mentioned Seafoam and Yamaha carb cleaner for any varnish that may have collected in jets. I closely perused the archives to no avail. Any and all help greatly appreciated."

"Seafoam is popular, proven, a

"Seafoam is popular, proven, and well respected. Yamalube Ring Free has a lot of good chemistry behind it and seems to be the superior product - just my opinion. Both give good directions for using as an engine cleaner. If the carbs were not drained before the 18 month set up, you have a high probability of needing a thorough carb cleaning or rebuild."

"W.D. - Thanks for jumping in

"W.D. - Thanks for jumping in there. No idea why I didn't print the "phantom" post. Replyer to that post suggested mixing the Yamaha cleaner with small tank of gas and pumping it into each carb using primer bulb, while opening each bowl's drain valve. Seemed to make sense, just don't remember ratio of gas to cleaner, or the length of time to leave in carbs."

"That will work as a good firs

"That will work as a good first step, and may solve your problem. I think there will be instructions on the container as to mixture levels. As long as you are mixing it with gas, I would let it sit in the carbs at least for a day. Remember when using these additives to clean up an engine or carborator, they take awhile to work, especially if there is a lot of varnish and other crude to clean out. After running it through the carbs, run the engine for a while. Then let it sit for awhile, and run it again."

Back