Logo

Cold weather use

denis_k

I just wanted to know if i can

I just wanted to know if i can use couple of bildge heaters and not witerize the engines so i can keep running the boat in cold months I am in the north east and the temps do drop. I have FWC 454 used in salt water. Before I had boat with detroit diesels and never had a problem doing that.
Thank you for your input.

"As long as you keep enough he

"As long as you keep enough heat in the engine room to mitigate the raw water freezing, you should be fine. Just remember, you don't have as much mass so you may need a few more BTUs than before"

"On the boats I have at work,

"On the boats I have at work, I always run the pink antifreeze through the raw water and when I have solid pink coming out the exhaust I shut it off. Obviously you shut the seacock off first. Then I run a heater in the engine box. I prefer the oil filled radiator style as there is no exposed eliments to spark anything. I am in Maine and this has worked very well for me. I plan to put a temp alarm indicator light in the window of the cabin so if the heat goes out I will know at a glance."

"I'd worry about a power

"I'd worry about a power failure in a bad ice storm. But, I'm from Florida and don't really have a valid opinion.
talker.gif
"

"Dave

I was at Miami Palmet

"Dave

I was at Miami Palmetto High School in 1968 and I do remember scraping frost off the windshield of the car in the early morning back then, Of course by 10:00 am it was 70 degrees.

I was actually thinking about doing the same thing here in NJ. Of course I can believe that if I did, this winter will be a monster cold and snowy one.

DENIS...are you nearby? I have always wanted to fish the winter striper runs in December and January BUT.. I get the feeling that IF winter takes a turn for the worse I could not find a lift operator who was'nt visiting Dave's neck of the woods...."

Yes Al I am in nj if we get a

Yes Al I am in nj if we get a good late run i will post it and you are wellcome to come out. I fish year around.
Denis

"We try to also BUT...With the

"We try to also BUT...With the marina deadlines for their " summer " contracts, we usually missed anything from mid-November thru May...Does Toms River seem like a familiar name to you.....?"

Brielle is a nice area. I shou

Brielle is a nice area. I should have bought my house there 35 years ago...back then no on wanted it...today it is 4-5 times what every thing else is.

I'm in Point and Brick 2-3 times a week

Back