Logo

Removing shift slide from shift cable

flightmate

"I would really appreciate any

"I would really appreciate any help in removing my shift slide off of the shift cable on my alpha one. I need to change the boot, but I can't figure out how the shift slide comes off of the cable. Everywhere I read says it should just pull off, but mine won't. The end of the cable has a (stop?) that doesn't allow the slide to come off. I don't want to ruin the cable itself, and I can't tell if this stop is threaded on or pressed on, or something else. Thanks in advance."

there should be 2 square littl

there should be 2 square little bolts that anchor the inner cable to the slide. they are threaded on. take the two screws out and the slide should slide off.

"The slide will come out with

"The slide will come out with the cable core once you remove the black plastic guide inside the boat.There should be 2 square head setscrews, loosen them ,pull the guide off, remove the threaded support, DEPENDING ON HOW EASY IT IS TO GET TO THE CABLE FROM INSIDE,remove the slide and core, insert a piece of weed whacker cord thru the shift cable sheath to about a foot on the outside and tie a knot, tie weed whacker off inside the boat, untie knot,remove cable sheath leaving weed whacker cord,change boot by gently sliding the weed cord back a bit. Slide cord thru new boot, thru cable sheath, install cable using the weed cord as a pull/guide string to get cable back inside the boat.install threaded tube, plastic guide, reattach cable,"

Back