Logo

1999 BF90 carburated

deucester

"Hey ya'll new to this,i&#

"Hey ya'll new to this,i'll get right to it.my Bf 90 sit for over a year.i did everything i thought I could being a non mechanic new plugs,new fuel,new oil.upon getting the engine started the warning buzzer begins going off as soon as engine begins to gain rpm which in return begins to starve.After talking with some knowledgable folks i ran a couple of cans of sea foam staight from can to try and clean up any varnish in carbs,it did seem to run better,but the warning buzzer still going off.I finally took the engine to the local honda guy who said,before i could get two words out,CARB JOB needed.After diagnoisn the engine he also said i had a problem with wire harness somewhere between engine and key switch.he quoted me more than I could afford.I took boat home and took on the job myself.Cleaned carbs,checked sensors,I have continuity in wire harness up to the key switch area,buzzer works,key switch seems to work(i can start it)The lamp indicator does not seem to work no lights.Could the lamp indicator cause the engine to protect itself and bog down.I was hoping that sense i have gone this far i could get out of this as cheap as possible.....sry this sounds like ramblin,I appreciate any feedback thanks....."

"Do any lights come on when th

"Do any lights come on when the alarm sounds? Is the green light (oil pressure) on or off at the time?

The alarm and the "carb job" are not necessarily related.

Check this post on alarms on the 90 hp http://www.marineengine.com/discus/messages/12482/288783.shtml also this one on overheat alarmshttp://www.marineengine.com/discus/messages/12482/289976.shtml.

The alarm could be putting the motor into guardian mode and keeping the motor from going over more than a high idle."

"thanks for responding HD.. No

"thanks for responding HD.. No lights come on at any time, Is it possible, if the lights are burned out or the module is bad, that the engine will go into guardian mode ? Will guardian mode make the engine sound like its missing or starvn for fuel or not run at all ? OK, I have determined after ohm testing all wires, that the module is bad...i took it out of panel and figured it was bad.. i broke it to look inside, there is a couple of small ressitors in there and it was pretty rusty, im sure its shot im going to get a new one asap..i hope a new one will help the performance.....thanks again HD"

"I don't know if there cou

"I don't know if there could be a feedback into the system from the faulty lamps...maybe it could. At least you have something obvious to fix. If you have that much rust in the lights, you may also have rust or corrosion in the kill switch or key switch, which could indeed impact the runability.

Change it out and see what happens.

Connecting only the start switch, leaving the lights and kill switch out of the circuit, could be a way to test if there is any affect from the panel.

When you cleaned the carbs, did you follow how they say to do it in the Honda Manual? Everything has to be disassembled and all passages and jets cleaned out. The carbs also need to be vacuum balanced when all is done.

Let's see what the new warning panel does for you."

Back