Logo

Crusader 454bs on 42b Chris Craft Commander18000 lbs Canbt be

nightstalker

Regular Contributor
"I'm looking at a 1995, 42

"I'm looking at a 1995, 42' Chris Craft Commander with twin 454 Crusaders. The listing shows the vessel weighing 18,000 lbs. That has to be a mistake right? I can't find the listed weight for this vessel on the net anywhere, but the 31' Commanders weighs more than that. Does anyone know what the actual weight would be for this vessel and if those twin 454's would push her around alright?
Nightstalker"

"actual weight will vary based

"actual weight will vary based on the equipment installed + the gear added to make it legal.

9 tons is very optimistic, even for a bare hull. I think I'd add at least 5 more tons."

"That sounds way too light for

"That sounds way too light for a 42 footer. My buddy's 36 Cruisers weighes 20,000 lbs. empty.

Jeff"

"I don't think that Chris

"I don't think that Chris Craft made a Commander in 1995. They did make a Continental. That wieghs in at about 18,500 lbs. Did you type the correct year?"

"I can only tell you what the

"I can only tell you what the broker told me about the model and year. Wouldn't a Continental that length at 18,000 lbs. be awfull lite too? I always thought that Chris-Craft made a good vessel, but now I'm not so certain. The Chris-Crafts i see on the market seem to be prices quite a bit below other vessels of the same year and model. What can you tell me about Chris-Craft as far as reliability, seaworthyness, etc?
Nightstalker"

Sorry Gary but I am not a Chri

Sorry Gary but I am not a Chris Craft guy. I only went to a few CC sources that I knew to try and help you answer some of your questions. I would suggest that you try a thread on a different forum aimed more at Chris Craft boats or boats in general. You can also try searching Yacht World and such to see what boats are available in that year and model. Sometimes the specs are given in the descriptions. Good luck.

"Chris Crafts were great boats

"Chris Crafts were great boats UNTIL the company got bought out by someone more interested in the name than quality. They sold the company (after trashing it), and the new owners are reviving the old traditions.

So it's a crap shoot as to who made what.

Jeff"

"Jeff...That had to be in the

"Jeff...That had to be in the mid to early 1980's. My Aunt and her new husband ($$$$) had a (new) 1970's era 57' Constellation. I remember this boat being a ship in its' construction. In the early 1990's we bought a small used CC for some water skiing and a little small bay fishing...Within 2 years we had to scrap it. Stuff was falling off , leaking and tearing apart. It looked like one of those boats left out under a tree for 10 years..."

"My 1984 315 Commander was mad

"My 1984 315 Commander was made in Dec.1983 by Murray Chris Craft. Its a very well made & well used boat. No blisters no soft spots. Gelcoat is holding up well. As are windshields,cleats & hardware. 12,000 Lbs. dry sticks in my head. Standard engines were 350ci 265Hp Mercs. Mine came with 454ci 340hp Mercs. This boat was the NY "show boat" came with many options. Written behind many access panels are the words "show boat". I believe the builders took extra care with this one knowing it would be on display. Repowered in 2007 with Crusader 5.7 350ci MPI"

Back