Logo

Outdrive Upgrade

ruckus3313

Regular Contributor
"Ok Robert and Rick and El P.,

"Ok Robert and Rick and El P.,

You guys have been helping me with possibly converting a Mercruiser Alpha Drive to a Volvo Penta. Ive decided to pass on that boat because of the Mercruiser(i don't think they're well build).Anyways on my current Vessel i have the aq125a w/270 leg. Can I convert this to a DP-C drive as they have a 2.30 gear ratio for 4 cyl's??Would my motor have enough power to be able to turn this outdrive ?? and would it improve performance over my current outdrive?? Looking to get into power trim and the DP drives!! Thanks everyone

p.s.- the main reason for not purchasing the boat is because of the V-8 and the fuel it likes to drink lol.. I love this little 2.1L 4 cyl as its awesome on gas, reliable and does everything i need it to do"

"My first boat was a 18 ft Dee

"My first boat was a 18 ft Deep V with an Volvo AQ110. It was the 1800 CC engine with twin Zeniths. That boat sipped gas, 1 1/2 to 2 gal per hour at 24 MPH. I recalled that last year, when gas got to silly numbers and I had to fuel up my 5.7L 260 HP powered boat."

I agree Robert. Mine sips fuel

I agree Robert. Mine sips fuel as well. Very Nice!!!I would like the extra power but im not complaining with what I have. Just would like to step up to the power trim and Duo Prop if i could

"The Duo Prop on the OHC 4 doe

"The Duo Prop on the OHC 4 does not gain you as much is it does on the V-8's. However, there would be an improvement.

Yes, any of the AQ series 200 and later drives can accept the Duo Prop lower unit with the correct re-shimming being required.

Yes, it would be the 2.30:1 over-all ratio.

Yes, the engine will turn it."

"The main effect of the duo pr

"The main effect of the duo prop is it's higher propeller efficiency, or in practical lower slip percentage. In most applications this is noticeable at the planning threshold.
In this area a single prop may have 50% slip or even more, the duo prop may be 25%, all depending on boat, hp/weight ratio etc.
In practical use it means that a boat with a single prop, as soon as it passes the planning threshold, may keep on increasing speed without more throttle applied, until a balance point where slippage is reduced to something between 15-20%. This may be something like 5-10 knots of speed increase without throttle and fuel increase (again depending on boat etc). The duo prop on the other hand, that already starts off at a lower slip percentage will only increase some 2-5 knots. The speed increase on the duo props are more linear with throttle increase. On a low powered application this may be of advantage, but gets reduced as the power is increased.
It is almost similar to like you are pulling the boat with a rubber cord. In the planning phase you will pull it out to max, as soon as you are getting into planning phase, the cord will retract if using the same pulling force, and you will have a speed increase during retraction. The duo props will act more like pulling with a kevlar rope.
Bottom line, if you have a low powered boat, you may benefit from a duo prop, but the more power you add, the less advantage. Normally you loose on duo props in top end speed when going above 30++knots. On the other hand if your priority is to lower planning threshold and planning speed, you will gain."

"Rick and Morton,

Thanks fo

"Rick and Morton,

Thanks for the advise. I will now start to look for a DP-C outdrive. I wanna do this conversion.Please send me pics and links for used outdrives that I can purchase if any available."

Back