Logo

Tohatsu NS5B year

davekfl

Need to replace the impeller o

Need to replace the impeller on my NS5B tohatsu. Engine tag states 369-1 86002. Could} someone please tell me the year and if/where an impeller is available. Also need manual. thanks in advance.
davekfl

"the year isn't that impor

"the year isn't that important...all you need to know is the model # (NS5B). Same as the Tohatsu M5B. You can get water pump replacements and service manuals from www.internetoutboards.com or go to nissanmarine.com and search for your closest dealer on their "dealer location" page"

"Well I dropped the lower unit

"Well I dropped the lower unit and the impeller was missing a few fins. I picked up a replacement from the local Tohatsu repair place. After a few tries, I finally reassembled. Its not a very big impeller. Started it up and its peeing some water but not a very strong stream. Its a long shaft motor. I have a manual on order but I was wondering maybe I didnt position the fins in the right direction. I certainly dont want to burn up the motor. I guess I can open it up again but prefer not to. Would it pump water if the fins are reversed? Dont have any reference as far as the force of the stream but that tiny impeller sure wouldn't push a lot of water. Any way to check so I dont burn up motor? Thanks in advance.
Davekfl"

The fins will self correct reg

The fins will self correct regardless of what you do. As long as the stream is healthy you know the cooling system is working properly. If the water temp is anything less than blistering then the engine isn't getting hot.

"Hi Dave...I was just given a

"Hi Dave...I was just given a NS5B that hasn't run in yrs. What is the gas/oil mix for this motor..also, how hard is it to drop the lower unit and replace the impeller. The gas tank is rusted, so if you found a place that is reasonable to buy parts please let me know....thank you, Carl V"

"Hi Carl... The gas/oil mix is

"Hi Carl... The gas/oil mix is 50:1. It wasnt hard dropping the lower unit. There is a plastic plug in the shaft cover that you remove to expose the nut that holds the shift linkage together. Loosen that and then just remove the bolts holding the lower unit on. The impeller cover is right there. The hardest part is getting the key in place to slide the impeller on the shaft. I used heavy grease to hold the pin in place. As far as reasonable parts, there isnt any. I paid like $18 for a tiny impeller the size of half dollar. I was lucky I guess since we have a local Tohatsu dealer. He wanted about $180 to replace the impeller. My motor did not come with a tank but I did have the fitting that attached to the gas line on the motor so I bought a Wal-Mart plastic tank for $22 and some hose. Dave"

Back