Logo

My skeg needs repair

stockman

Hello to all I have a 1988 alp

Hello to all I have a 1988 alpha I merc 4.3 l . On boating a grazed a rock and knocked a few small chips off the skeg the biggest is about 1 inch. Can I use JB Weld marine to fix it ? Thanks to all DaveR

"JB, while great stuff is only

"JB, while great stuff is only a filled adhesive, not much good for making skeg metal from nothing. If the chips are small as you describe, check to be sure you don't have any obivous cracks started. Then take a Dremel or Dotco and smooth all the rough edges of the chips and go back to boating.

If you have cracks just get it welded. There are some bolt on replacement products too for big damage. You might post a picture to let the members that are drive experts take a look. I had most of one of mine break completely off, got a new one welded on easy."

They make a stainless steel co

They make a stainless steel cover for your skeg it bolts right on or glues on and protects it well !!!!

Look in any boat catalog !!!

I have been welding skegs on f

I have been welding skegs on for 17 years i would not waste my money on those exspensive bolt on they will come off when you hit something and now it sets on the bottom of the lake with your broken skeg have it welded its cheaper full replacement skeg run around $15.- $30. + (welding $75.00) or you can weld in areas missing even cheaper

Sorry wasnt trying to sound ru

Sorry wasnt trying to sound rude just wanted to get the point across in this case he has a 1988 it can be sure that the skeg is bent in more ways then one and the guard would not fit well on it and they are quite exspensive

Marvin:

I'm just curiou

Marvin:

I'm just curious about welding on skegs. Do you weld them on w/the oil and prop shaft seals intact? Or is it necessary to have the seals replaced when you are done due to the heat transfer?

I do them with the oil and all

I do them with the oil and all the seal in them i fill the prop shaft with water and i only weld very little at a time i make a day of it i do not mig weld them i use tig I have never gotten one to warm where the oil seal has needed to be replaced just take your time Thanks

Back