Logo

30l volvo overheating

drewcalli4874

"i have a 99 chaparral with a

"i have a 99 chaparral with a 3.0l volvo in it. when starting it the motor would squeal, the belts look to be in good shape and i cant tell which one it is if any at all.

last week my problem was originally the raw water pump pulley seized up and the engine overheated and shut down. i pulled the pulley off the belt and discovered that the pulley was still good and the impeller was causing it to be locked up, although it didnt look that bad.

well, i put a new impeller in and hooked it up to the ear muffs and it ran fine. i then took it out on the water, at 6 knots it was fine however... i did see some smoke coming from somewhere and a smell of something burning...

my guess is that my thermostat is bad for the overheating as for the squeal i have no clue....

has anyone had this problem before or could you provide any insight to give me an idea where to start..

thanks in advance!"

that squeal may be the impelle

that squeal may be the impeller starting to fail again. check it out and make sure its ok. make sure you lube new impellers with soapy water or glycerin *sp?* that comes with a new volvo impeller

also make sure your hoses are

also make sure your hoses are installed correct. if they got reversed then you would overheat. if the "in" is on the "out"

"thanks for the tips. checked

"thanks for the tips. checked the impeller, looked good. i actually installed a new thermostat today and i think the one of the squeals may be the belt going to the alternator. going to tighten that up and take it for a sea trial tomorrow. also checked the hoses and i think they are hooked up right.

guess well see tomorow!"

well no luck just started it u

well no luck just started it up today and she is still smoking form somewhere..... guess its off to the mechanics shop

"ok figured i would update thi

"ok figured i would update this, .....

well its a new motor for me apparently it over heated. i have a knock in it and its all she wrote....

good news is that i have a marine mech who will install a new one for $2500."

Back